Storing eggs in water

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storing eggs in water

A friend has told me that eggs can be stored in water to keep them fresh. I am doubtful, what do others think?

Thanks
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

I've never heard of that. I just know you're not supposed to wash them with water, as that takes off the protective layer that the chickens leaves behind.

I'm doubtful too that storing them in water would do any good.
    https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Once rotten they would float ��

Comment

When I worked at stansted the eggs were peeled & kept in water in a tub,that’s how they were delivered but I don’t know if something was added to the water,oh this is the eggs it’s in brine - 0.38g salt per hundred grams
        https://www.brake.co.uk/products/dai...rd-boiled-eggs

Comment

Do you think they've got confused with the old methods of water "glass"?

You can whisk up and freeze in small bags. They aren't great for eating as fresh, omelette etc. but they are fine for cooking, Yorkshire puddings, sponges and I always use them for my Xmas cakes. I store them in 2,3,4s so I can get the correct amount for a recipe!

Comment

It's called glass water and is a solution of isinglass.

There's a thread on here about it somewhere.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
            ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
            ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...way_97124.html

I think it's mentioned in this one

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
              ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
              ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

I think that she has confused water-glass with water. She does come from Malaysia and neither English or French is her first language. She has given me some that I think that I will quietly dispose of to be on the safe side.
                Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I would have to crack them open and have a sniff...just to check

Actually I'd probably give them to the kids to try

Comment

LOL Scarlet!!

I'd back away from the eggs. Slowly back away from the eggs LOL
                    https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

We always stored our bantam eggs in water glass (isinglass) when I was growing up. Then my mother would use them for baking.

Comment

Eggs don't need any help for regular storage, the idea of putting them in a fridge only came about as a marketing gimmick for fridges. Dry stored in the kitchen is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by ESBkevin View Post
                          Eggs don't need any help for regular storage, the idea of putting them in a fridge only came about as a marketing gimmick for fridges. Dry stored in the kitchen is fine.
                          Depends on how long you want to keep them?. I haven't got chickens at the moment but when I did I wouldn't ever buy any through the winter when they didnt lay many.
                          I kept around two dozen chickens that's a lot of eggs a day. I froze them fresh, all my baking etc for Xmas cakes were made using frozen eggs.

Comment

Originally posted by ESBkevin View Post
                            Are you talking about bought eggs or garden laid eggs?
                            Bought eggs are less fresh anyway - and won't stay fresh as long however you store them.
                            Eggs may not need to be refrigerated - but it will extend their usable life. I keep eggs in the fridge as I'm less likely to break them there!

Comment

This is worth a read:
                              https://www.thespruceeats.com/how-to-store-eggs-1389331

Frozen eggs keep for upto a year.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X