No announcement yet.

What type of chicken is friendly

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good to hear your chickens are doing so well. It'll be a while before they lay eggs though - when they're about 18-20 weeks old, I think.
    The weeks will soon pass and you'll have so many eggs you'll be asking for ideas on how to cook them. Omelettes is my usual way of eating lots !!

Comment

Originally posted by Workslave View Post
      Hello everyone
      I want to tell you the chickens are all healthy and have feathers now
      I hope we will get some eggs soon, they are very funny dinosaurs.
      Sincerely
      Steve
      Any update on your chickens Steve ?

Comment

Yes the chickens are well
        We are getting 1 egg each most days so they must feel loved
        there is now a light in their coop to extend the season, although I think they will get a break to moult at christmas

We did end up with 4 cockerels out of the 7 that survived the first night and even though one was my favourite bird we did end up making a chicken curry with the boys, humanely dispatched of course.
        I know some people dont like the idea of this but they were much happier than any chicken that comes in a plastic box and I know were culled correctly.
        Amazing how long the drumsticks were, almost double the length of shop bought
        Im seriously considering becoming a chicken farmer..to try all the different tastes
        dorking is definitely on my list to try.

Id never been around chickens that hadn't been harassed so there temperament is surprising, very friendly little velociraptors.

Sincerely
        Steve
        I live with autism spectrum disorder. Please be gentle. Sincerely Steve.

Comment

My neighbour has chickens and once his chickens had settled in they became very inquisitive and I often have an audience when I am working. Happy little creatures.

Comment

Originally posted by Workslave View Post
            Id never been around chickens that hadn't been harassed so there temperament is surprising, very friendly little velociraptors.
            We have no chickens at the moment and I miss them. But when we did have them, I was often reminded of the "clever girl" comments in Jurassic Park. I'd post a clip, but it's a bit grisly...

Comment

Sounds like you are doing really well with them!
              Have to say though that I'm glad you noticed a flavour difference compared to shop bought ones -it's comparable to eating shop bought carrots with freshly dug home grown ones! The texture is very different too isn't it?....mmmm!
              I have 12 gals and one cockerel and always enjoy watching their very different personalities.
              The funniest thing is the cockerel clucking madly when he's found something tasty to eat...calling the gals to come and eat it. But on occasion there's nothing there and he just wants a 'quickie!'
              And yes,they always fall for it
              ''Clever boy!"
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                Sounds like you are doing really well with them!
                Have to say though that I'm glad you noticed a flavour difference compared to shop bought ones -it's comparable to eating shop bought carrots with freshly dug home grown ones! The texture is very different too isn't it?....mmmm!
                I have 12 gals and one cockerel and always enjoy watching their very different personalities.
                The funniest thing is the cockerel clucking madly when he's found something tasty to eat...calling the gals to come and eat it. But on occasion there's nothing there and he just wants a 'quickie!'
                And yes,they always fall for it
                ''Clever boy!"
                Reminds me of:

https://youtu.be/4hQhi4oyH6k

The bantam cock - Jake Thackeray.

Comment

Not heard that for ages....brill!
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I think you might find this Irish one a bit more amusing

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=biywBte5o1E