Whats everyone sowing now ? 5th Aug

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Baldy View Post
    Cadders. Red pee scares the begeezuz out of me... though if you're doing over 200 beets..
    I've been collecting Doritos Dip Jars for a year and have a huge collection and started cooking the first 100+ Beetroots off last night, by the time family have had theirs we have just enough to last us about a year, I actually had to buy two Jars this year which is why I'm going over board as the weather is so warm and I thought why not, it's not as if I don't have enough seeds in my collection!
    sigpic
    . .......Man Vs Slug
    Click Here for my Diary and Blog
    Nutters Club Member

Comment

Morning Crew - Breakfast then allotment for a couple of hours, then beetroots and Office on and off all day for me what you guys up too ?
      sigpic
      . .......Man Vs Slug
      Click Here for my Diary and Blog
      Nutters Club Member

Comment

beetroots and Office - is this some new Microsoft product (windows for allotments…?)

I was down the plot at 7.15 watering my carrots...

Comment

I've put some swiss Chard (Lidl seeds), beetroot (also Lidl - interestingly my other variety were producing scraggly little roots with a lot of lush green growth started to think I'm no good at roots but these have given me decent sized roots), pak choi, spinach, lettuce (mesulin mix) and rocket.

Comment

I’m just sowing green manures now: crimson clover, phacelia then field beans
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Only french beans in the hope of some nice sunny weather to urge them on.

Comment

Just sowed two pots of coriander seed. Already thinking about winter so will need coriander for all the curries I shall be tucking in to.
                Also sowed some orange calendula (pot marigolds) for overwintering in the hope of getting a head start in Spring.
                I use the petals every day for sprinkling on salads and rice dishes.

Comment

[QUOTE=farendwoman;
                  Also sowed some orange calendula (pot marigolds) for overwintering in the hope of getting a head start in Spring.
                  I use the petals every day for sprinkling on salads and rice dishes.[/QUOTE]

That's interesting, what taste do you get from them? I was going to get some seeds but mainly for the bees as I remember them from being a littlun many many many years ago.
                  Rob

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	23978463-370C-4B69-9094-6033E87A2B6F.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	2380235
                    Hi Rob
                    Not an awful lot of flavour, but they really make a salad look pretty.
                    If you put them in the cooking water for rice, they turn it a nice pale lemon or orange colour. Or you can just sprinkle them on top of the rice after you’ve dished it up to look nice.
                    I also use cornflower petals in exactly the same way - again very little flavour , but don’t half look good.
                    I use the whole flowers of tagetes in salads too, these have a really citrussy flavour, but can get a bit chewy later in the year.

Comment

Originally posted by robbra View Post
                      That's interesting, what taste do you get from them? I was going to get some seeds but mainly for the bees as I remember them from being a littlun many many many years ago.
                      Rob
                      Rob - I can send you some seed if you want to pm me

Comment

Last week ago or so, direct sowings of beetroot, swede, carrot, spinach.
                        To sow this week: kale, Chinese cabbage, and Spring cabbage

Comment

Originally posted by farendwoman View Post
                          Rob - I can send you some seed if you want to pm me
                          Calendula seed on their way, Rob.
                          I have sowed some so they are viable!
                          Good luck with them.

Comment

Thanks, you are a sweetheart, I'll let you know when I get them

Comment

This is what you can look forward to Rob
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	7CDECEC2-7523-430C-99B6-BB7F19C8E830.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	2380458

Comment

Thanks Kay,
                                they came yesterday so I'll sow some this weeks and save some for the front in the spring. Just what I remember years ago, the bees will love'em.
                                You are a star.
                                Rob
                                PS. I've got very little to offer this year but hang on for 2019.
                                Last edited by robbra; 02-09-2018, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X