Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhubarb

Hi all,

I bought a rhubarb plant in march. I didn't expect to be able to harvest any until next spring but it's grown so much. Is it ok to harvest it now? It seems a shame to waste it but I'm not sure if a) it'll be any good or b) will affect the plant.

TIA
    Jane

I wouldn't - the nutrients it will give back to the plant in dying down will help it produce more next year (same principle as not harvesting asparagus for 3 years). Also, you're not 'supposed' to harvest rhubarb now (I think it's after July??) due to the oxalic acid content, which I don't think is particularly tasty or good for you; I guess it might give you a bit of a tummy ache - not sure.

Comment

I thought I read that somewhere, shame I could have murdered a rhubarb crumble!
      Jane

Comment

I wouldn't harvest now. The sticks are perfect in spring when they are young and tender. They may look good now but believe me they will be tough and sour. You are much better leaving the plants alone to die back naturally over time (mulch them with rotted manure or compost over winter if you can) and look forward to next spring.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X