Chilli seedlings - worried!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
    There is always the option of offering your unwanted plants to friends, family, neighbours or work colleagues.
    That it true.

Comment

I used similar peat pots 2 years ago for my chillies and nothing thrived in them. Maybe they're suited to other types of plants but my experience is that chillies don't like them.

Comment

Thanks so much everyone for all your help - Ive ordered 20 5 litre plant pots and will repot them as soon as they arrive. Ive had a look at the underneath of the peat pots and lo and behold I can see roots poking out so no wonder they are struggling - the root ends arent even in the compost any more on some of them - I will keep you all posted on progress

Jimbo

Comment

Looks like I can now edit posts and add pics - hooray! I will upload pics for you all of my 'collection' tomorrow and you can compare to the original pics that Scarlet kindly uploaded for me at the begining of this thread I think youll be pleased and its all down to your advice on here

Jimbo

Comment

Any chillies yet Jimbo??
            Is it correct to say you were late ( time of year wise) getting these going?
            I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
            sigpic

Comment

I think i was late yes but Im no expert. Ive got 1 chilli so far - a hungarian hot wax Check out the pics - sorry for the delay in adding them The chilli Ive got growing was the first to flower and the flower dropped off within a couple of days of it opening - the other flowers that have come out seem to have stuck around for longer so Im not sure if they will produce fruit or not - does a flower guarantee a fruit? If so then Im hoping some of these flowers drop soon because Ive got loads of flowers on my hungarian hotwaxes as you can see (they are all the tall ones) and ive got a few small buds on my firecrackers - no flowers at all on any of my habaneros though but they seem to be growing well...

Have a look - Im so impressed with myself... Ive been feeding them tomato feed too every so often...

Jimbo

Click image for larger version

Name:	chilli3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	2380470Click image for larger version

Name:	chilli1.jpg
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	2380471Click image for larger version

Name:	chilli2.jpg
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	2380472Click image for larger version

Name:	chilli4.jpg
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	2380473
              Last edited by JimboAccy; 01-09-2018, 10:54 AM.

Comment

I grow mine on the kitchen windowsill and when the flowers appear I go round them with my finger like a pollinating insect. Don't know if that's the right thing to do but I get loads of chillis.
                sigpic

Comment

Plants do look quite small in terms of the time of season but at least you are getting flowers..
                  Next year start them off a bit earlier if you can ?

Use a cotton bud to tickle the flower or give plants a gentle shake as you walk by them
                  I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                  sigpic

Comment

Update

Hi all

Not been on for a while so thought you all might like an update From worried seedlings you will now see a conservatory takeover!!! The one Hungarian hotwax chilli I had is now a massive red number and Im going to have it for tea tonight with some pork so Im taking some pictures now before I start cropping them. Virtually every plant I have now has fruit Ive got Habaneros growing, Hungarian Hotwaxes (the most populated) and firecrackers. Please take a look at the pics

Name:	habs.jpg
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	2381404Click image for larger version

Name:	Hungarian.jpg
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	2381405Click image for larger version

Name:	con1.jpg
Size:	307.6 KB
ID:	2381401Click image for larger version

Name:	con2.jpg
Size:	307.1 KB
ID:	2381402Click image for larger version

Name:	con3.jpg
Size:	304.0 KB
ID:	2381403

Comment

And the firecrackers.. (Could only attach 5 pics per post)

Name:	Firecracker.jpg
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	2381406

Thanks everyone for all your advice - couldnt have done this without it - anyone in Devon want some chillis? lol I had a small red hungarian hotwax in an omelette on Thursday night - was lovely - not too spicy and more tingly than anything else - very tasty and super fresh!

Jimbo
                      Last edited by JimboAccy; 03-11-2018, 03:14 PM.

Comment

They look wonderful; well done! Because they are indoors you have a good chance that they will continue to fruit over the winter for you.

Comment

They look great, well done. (and to everyone that helped out with advice, as a chilli newbie it’s useful to me too).

Comment

Well done they look fabulous- my advice would be to start earlier next year and you’ll get some bigger returns. You’ve got a great place there to grow too!
                            I hope you will join in on our chilli thread and show your progress next season - start early ( some will start in January!! - nutters ) - sounds like you’ve been bitten by the bug

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                              start early ( some will start in January!! - nutters )
                              December

But I'm not nuts because I don't start till mid December

Comment

SP do you sow them in the house for warmth or use a propagator in the greenhouse
                                it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X