patio/container help n crop rotation

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• patio/container help n crop rotation

Hi there. Im a very new veg grower, only starting with the basic herbs and lettuce at the begging of this year- now ive been completely bitten by the bug and want to do more next year!!!
    Im a little stuck! Ive read all about crop rotation and patio growing and have become very confused.
    I unfortunatly dont own a house of my own or an allotment. My other half has kindly allowed me to have a little space in his newly lanscaped garden (mainly grass n fish pond ). Unfortunatly only one of his borders is in full sun (and its only about 1m square) so im resorting to a lot of pots/planters and troughs to help. He is also no so keen to have his entire garden turned into an allotment and he hates pots!!!
    Im only going to grow what i know we both like (slowly convert him..he he)!
    So- what can i grow together? What grows in part shade? Do i rotate my pots or just replace the compost in it each time?
    Ive read lots on crop rotation and so so confused! Do i seperate in to roots, brassicas, alluiums, legumes, curcrbits and fruit veg??

Im wanting to plant aubergines, parsnips, onions, lettuce, rocket, spinach, squashes, cucumbers, garlic, chillis and peppers and have no idea what groups i can put them into.

My potatoes will prob go in a tower. Tomatoes and strawbs in hanging baskets- the rest makes my brain hurt!!
    Any ideas/advice would be so so helpful!
    PS sorry for going on and on!
    I have no idea what im doin!

Hello Charlie Farley and welcome to the Vine. I'm sure there will be lots of members along with tips and ideas for you.
    ~
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Thanks very much- i hope so!!
      I have no idea what im doin!

Comment

If you are growing in pots, Charlie Farley, I wouldn't worry about crop rotation - just use fresh compost each growing season. You can use the old stuff to top-dress OH's flower beds - that'll get you in good books!
        As to growing in the ground, try using the 'search' facility on this site ands putting in Crop Rotation - you'll get loads of info and it'll be quicker than me typing it all in! Welcome to the grapevine. We've all got the bug, you're in good company here!
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X