Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on growing onions

Hi

My onions are getting pretty big now, but what exactly do I do after harvesting them? I have read about people leaving them on the ground or hanging them up in the shed. Why is this, please, and could you tell me a good way to do this?

Thanks.
    Natalie

Siskin
    I've always understood it to mean drying them out like potatoes need to have their skins hardened. However with all the rain at the moment, probably best to bring them inside, I hang mine up in the greenhouse before bringing them home. You certainly do see a difference, dry papery outer skin and nice firm onions.
    Sounds like you've got a good crop.
    best wishes
    Sue

Comment

Mine are in previously used plastic string bags (obtained from various sources - supermarket - etc)- shallots, onions, red onions and garlic stored separately - hanging in various places - outside loo (how many people still have one of those!) and in my cave (cellar).
      its very damp here too at the moment but they were dug up and dried out in decent weather so hopefully they will be ok
      http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

Once they are dried out and the tops have withered they can be plaited and hung in a cool frost free shed or greenhouse!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Ok thanks for the help and advice :-D
          Natalie

Comment

Wait on your foliage to die down - do not be tempted to bend it over as some people have been known to do, as this can increase the likelihood of neck rot. Use a fork to lever the roots out of the ground and let them dry in the sun ? or bring them indoors to dry. Sore in plaits, hanging in bunches or nets / net bags. They need to breathe so don't be tempted to put them in paper potato sacks.
            Rat

British by birth
            Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
            http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

As the rat said, just hung mine in onion bags (cant plait).

Only thing to add, keep an eye on them and any that appear rotten, remove quickly and use else the whole batch will rot.

An onion can make people cry but there's never been a vegetable that can make people laugh.

Will Rogers

Comment

This may seem like a stupid question, but does this mean you can't use them straight after harvesting; do you have to leave them to dry?
                Natalie

Comment

Originally posted by Siskin View Post
                  This may seem like a stupid question, but does this mean you can't use them straight after harvesting; do you have to leave them to dry?
                  As far as I know,you can use onions any time and storing neither improves or degrades the taste. I often use my overwintered onions immature, when they are the size of pickling onions and only wait for my maincrop to finish growing before harvesting!

Properly harvested and dried onions will keep better thats all!
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Siskin View Post
                    I;ve been pulling onions to use straight away these last two weeks Siskin. I always think they are quite delicious used this way.
                    ~
                    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X