design ideas

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• design ideas

I am talking the farmer round where i live to lend me some space to grow my veg, he hasnt said yes yet........ but has agreed to let me put up a greenhouse so its looking good so far, i was wondering if anyone had any pics of veg plots that i could get an idea from, im very new and dont know much so i dont want to start off too big and not cope with it all, also i want it to look nice eg with flowers growing in with veg as i think the plot will be in front of house which is on teh drive to the farm for all to see if you get my drift.

Loads of the regulars on here have blogs with photos - why not have a look? (I'm not advocating mine as a plan - my lottie is a mess! But there are some links on my blog to other, imho better allotmenteers' blogs)
    Last edited by heebiejeebie; 14-08-2007, 04:51 PM.
    You are a child of the universe,
    no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

Comment

I'm sure it's not what you're looking for, but this pic is taken from my kitchen garden, looking towards the ornamental garden. At some level I think it shows you can blend them together. I hope you can work yours out.
      Attached Files

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Any design that works for you will look great.

The main things to bear in mind are that any garden looks better if the grass paths are neatly cut and edged and/or formal, chipping, other substance paths are bounded and tidy - no weeds growing through.

Also that any veg bed will look good if it is weeded! Though I agree that having the odd useful veg might just help too!

For ease for you I suggest a series of 4' wide beds of whatever length you like. 4' because you can reach to the middle easily from each side so you don't have to walk on the ground once you have dug it. Also if you are planing to plant in rows (most gardeners do) a 4' row of something should mean a manageable amount of crop with not too much glut. You can sow a row, leave space, sow a different crop then come back after a few weeks and sow a row for succession.

No piccie but as a possible plan, you said you have a greenhouse, put some form of path around it on all sides - about 3' wide so you can carry compost sacks along it easily. On the North side put a cold frame, either touching the green house with the path beyond or free standing on the far side of the path. You can then easily move plants from one to the other. Try and put some form of table near this area, possible to the south - in summer it is nice to do ones potting and sowing in the open, and it is pleasant to be able to sit comfortably every so often with the obligatory cuppa! Also this will guarentee a clear area to the south of the greenhouse, allowing plenty of light with no tall plantings to reduce light levels!

Plan two beds to run like a border from the gate to the green house - if that happens to be East-West so much the better - you will have South light along the length of the beds for most of the day and therefore your plantings of beans and corn will not shade out other crops.

As you get time and are confident look to put in additional beds on either side if the original two. Remember it is always better to do a little well than a lot poorly - you want your farmer to be happy with what you are doing, so only do as much as you are sure you can cope with - about half what you think you might be able to do!

The end result of the design I have outlined is quite formal, but well maintained it is very attractive to look at. There is a maintenance issue for paths, if they are grass you will need a petrol mower and a couple of hours each weekend will be taken up just keeping them neat.

Don't forget to put in either a double or triple bay compost heap - to one side of the plot, with a 3' wide path so you can push a barrow up and down. Make each bay bigger than you think you need - It is amazing how much space the stuff always seems to need!

As a final comment - ENJOY YOURSELF! Don't think that just 'cause your new to the game you don't know anything, give it a try, it may work and if not, so what? We all learn by making mistakes.

Terry
        The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Coo! Wish my plot looked like that Terry - thank you for taking the time to post - theres lots of scope for ideas there for all of us, I'm thinking....

Comment

Who said my plot looked like that? I gave that plot up years ago......

I garden in my back garden now - his nibs allows me one measly bed of 8' x 16' which I have no choice but to walk on.

The plan I suggested is for the ideal world I want to be in......

Terry

Comment

That's the same one as where I am married to George Clooney and am a size 10, Terry...?

Comment

.... could be, could be.....

I'll settle for size 12!

Terry

Comment

Sindy, How's it going - have you got your farmer to let you have some ground?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X