Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to grow from the sun and water in South Wales?

Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I live in South Wales. Just chuck your potatoes in end of this month, they should grow fine and have spuds after 10/12 weeks. Don't worry about pests/disease unless you actually know your soil carries it. If you do it in sacks/buckets your laughing.

Wheat - never grown it.. don't think many people do here to be honest. But just had a small look and you should have sown it in winter.

Why would you want grow lights outside, total waste of electric!? You water when it needs it, you don't really need to specific. and wheat and potatoes wouldn't fit into vertical farming..

Comment

Rather than going to all the bother of trying to grow wheat, harvesting it then grinding it.........you'd be better off just buying flour for your particular needs..
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Grow potato

Originally posted by Baldy View Post
        I know nothing, nothing about wheat - but I think you will struggle to grow it in rainy South Wales - jut buy bread from the shops.
        Potatoes - well - you should be ok with potatoes because South Wales has a lot of rain and potatoes need a lot of water.
        Don't worry too much about the amount of light - potatoes will be fine in South Wales. You might need to look into the problem of 'Blight' as it a disease that can kill off your potato crop - good luck

Why do you think that South Wales weather will not grow wheat well? I want to find out the reasons that wheat grows better in warmer weather rather than weather like South Wales have that is sunny and rainy.

The thing with potatos is that you need more space because potatoes are kept apart from each other and multiple potatoes grow in the soil, with each potatoes row have to be wide apart from the next potatoe row. Because I am going to grow in buckets, I am able to grow one potatoe in one bucket. Although, potatoes grow down and grow right or left for a number of potatoes, I think a big bucket or pot is big enough for more than a few potatoes. Although, for chips you need at least four or more, and for mash you need four or five. From my growing, I got six or more potatoes, though the potatoes are half the size of the usual size ones in supermarkets. With five or buckets, I could grow thirty potatoes, with another five, I grow in thirty potatoes, that is sixty potatoes in total with room to grow more potatoes. Then, I buy potatoes from supermarket, there is ten or more in a potatoes packet. From sixty six potatoes, that is six packs in a year. With five or more potatoes for chips, mash, I make twelve or more chips regular size and twelve or mash regular size. Eating chips or mash in year is ten times, that means within a year I probably have two potatoes left. Although, with my dad running a fish and chip shop two, a sack for potatoes thirty or fourty, meaning I make one sack of potatoes out of fourth or thirty and have twenty left. The shop gets twenty or more sacks that is thirty or fourth times twenty, the answer is 600 potatoes or more. To get sixty potatoes or more, in one year, means 600 divide by 60 is ten years to get 600 potatoes from growing sixty potatoes per year.

Potatoes need water and sunlight to grow. I want to know the amount of sunlight and water potato needs each day to make sure my potatoes have enough water, this needs to be right because the water I give may be too little or too much. The sunlight my potatoes get may be too little or I need more sunlight for the potatoes to grow, that is why a outdoor light gives enough extra light for potatoes to grow, although still need to know the amount of light because outdoor grow lasts are usually on for many hours in the day.

Comment

Buy a sack of spuds off your dad as he'll get them at trade price.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

How big is your garden?
            Wheat is grown by farmers on acres of land. Its not grown commercially in this part of South Wales because we don't have a lot of flat land. Its not the weather that is the problem but the space required.
            Its the same with potatoes - if you want to grow sacks of spuds you need a lot of space.
            I think you need to be realistic about how much you can grow in your garden.

Comment

Ive never heard of anyone in the UK using outside grow lights!? Especially for spuds! There is plenty of light in the UK to grow potatoes outside. If growing in pots, just water them until the compost feels moist. How much space have you got? Growing spuds in buckets to last you a year is going to take lots of buckets and or dustbins..
              If you are serious about growing you may need to be very realistic on what you can achieve.

Comment

Originally posted by Malooq Tariq View Post
                I Potatoes need water and sunlight to grow. I want to know the amount of sunlight and water potato needs each day to make sure my potatoes have enough water, this needs to be right because the water I give may be too little or too much. The sunlight my potatoes get may be too little or I need more sunlight for the potatoes to grow, that is why a outdoor light gives enough extra light for potatoes to grow, although still need to know the amount of light because outdoor grow lasts are usually on for many hours in the day.
                Doctor.
                Last edited by Scarlet; 11-03-2017, 10:25 PM. Reason: Fixing quote :)
                sigpic
                1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

You've lost me Baldy...7??

Comment

Bless!
                    South Wales is like *************** (from the evidence Ive seen on this site and the (very) odd visit to Cardiff) I'm basing my comments on evidence from VC, \ Scarlet and you.

Have you been doing spice or is it just a Welsh thing?
                    Last edited by veggiechicken; 11-03-2017, 10:24 PM. Reason: Removed to stop spammers
                    sigpic

Comment

7 is the amount of water and sun you need for perfect spuds in South Wales
                      thought that was quite clear really...
                      sigpic

Comment

All we do here is eat Welsh cakes and laverbread

Comment

Originally posted by Baldy View Post
                          7 is the amount of water and sun you need for perfect spuds in South Wales
                          thought that was quite clear really...
                          Sorry, it is Saturday night and I'm still celebrating after last nights match.

Comment

Bara brith with a little butter

Comment

I haven't a clue what Baldy's saying - and I'm not sure that he does either

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^There is quite a few on here who leave my gaster well and truly flabbered...............
                                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X