Watering seed trays once inside electric propagator

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watering seed trays once inside electric propagator

Hi...I hope someone can help me with this problem that I encounter year after year.

I have had my electric propagator (E P) a few years now but due to this issue I feel I don't get the most effective use from it so I am seeking advice from all of you who use the same method.

Once my seed is sown and the trays/modules etc are in the propagator what do you suggest should be the watering regime in as much as frequency and method?

I check the E P daily for hopeful signs of germination and if the compost is dry I water the trays either using my water sprayer (mist bottle) or my miniature houseplant watering can which has a mini mini sprayer attachment.

Both methods only seem to moisten the surface of the compost which I was pretty confident was all they needed to get started but today out of curiosity I lifted a small seed tray out and it was solid - not rock solid but like cake. It seemed impossible that a seedling was going to be able to permeate that dense a mass to put down roots (albeit tiny ones).

I sowed several small seed trays 10 days ago with very little sign of germination and I can't help but think its my watering approach. Any ideas??

It sounds more likely, to me, that the compost is iffy. Good compost doesn't set hard, it usually has enough fibrous stuff in it to keep it open.

When I have to water, I use one of those drinking bottles and give everything a quick squirt.

Comment

Hi Thelma, thanks for your reply.

I was so sure it was a watering issue but you make a good point about the compost - it is J A B's seed sowing compost but its not a freshly started bag. I am considered to be slightly (ahem) frugal in all things green fingered, so I thought I was stretching out of my comfort zone far enough when I overfilled the seed trays and then levelled off the excess - to start a brand new bag would have blown my mind! I didn't give it a thought.

I'll start a new bag and sow some fresh seed tomorrow and see how they compare in a few days time.

Comment

Watering from the bottom always works out well i find, I've got a piece of capillary matting in the base of my Heated Propagator and by keeping it damp my seedling don't dry out.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Thanks Bren - I do have some capillary matting that I could put in there although I currently have a layer of very fine gravel in there. One of the many articles I read about EP's was one by Mr Alan Titchy Titchmarsh who said he used a layer of silver sand in the base of his. I pour the condensation from the lids onto the gravel when I open up - not sure if I'm supposed to or not.

Comment

Have a read at this older thread most folks seem to use matting.

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...tor_77625.html

thing is with gardening there's no wrong answers just different ways of doing things.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Thanks Bren that's really helpful - it's so interesting to share other people's experiences. Each time I have g@@gled "how to use my EP" it just returned loads of adverts and articles/video clips stating the blinkin obvious.

This all started because of my immediate success with the window sill propagation kits that were 3 for a tenner or suchlike several years ago. Grandad Chicken then purchased the EP as a Christmas present the year afterwards and so each year I feel obliged to give it a go - but it has been a constant source of frustration. I am determined to crack it this year - so thanks again!

Comment

I've been pouring the condensation off the lid back into the tray which got a capillary mat on too.. (?!)

Comment

I use matting but water lightly from one of those spray bottles when needed; always does the job
                  I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                  sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X