Mulch ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mulch ?

Hi, I watch youtube gardening videos from guys in Arizona, USA. and they always say mulch with woodchips, and that they have to keep topping it up, because it breaks down fast. my question is, is it because of the heat that breaks it down so fast ? because im thinking of mulching with woodchips but because its always cold, don't know if its worth it
    Bojack : One day, you’re gonna look around and you’re going to realize that everybody loves you, but nobody likes you. And that is the loneliest feeling in the world

Not used them muself but have a read of this thread

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...hod_88807.html

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

I know a few people with big piles of wood chip from trees being chopped & have stuck my hands in (as you do )

Both reasonably well rotted after a year, ok for woodland plants like bluebells, but not really for veggie planting. Maybe heat/tree type?
      Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Wood chips make excellent mulch, just don't dig it in. Try a small area, don't water and after a few weeks see how much natural moisture is retained when you scrape it back.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

New wood chips will steal nitrogon from the soil where they contact. In practice digging them in makes lots of contact and robs goodness for a season before releasing much more back. Placed on the surface they don't have a material effect on the soil nitrogon and will break down over a year or two. They provide very good mulch effect and break down to release all the required compost for turning soil into something fantastic. Also adding woodchip to your green compost and farmyard manure helps the composting balance and leaves lovely crumbly compost. I did say new wood chips too, stacking it for a year (mixed with grass cuttings if you like to speed it up) will accelerate the early stages of composting and make it perfect for digging in or mulching. This time of year a thick layer over the beds is a great way to create compost to dig in for spring and protect the soil from too much rain and errosion. If you can get it, use it.

Comment

Hi thanks for all the replies really appreciate it, urm not sure where digging them into ground came from, I was just wondering in the uk due to our colder weather if it's wise to use loads of wood chips as mulch, like if I got one layer ontop of the soil will it cause any damage to add a few more layers on top of that
            Bojack : One day, you’re gonna look around and you’re going to realize that everybody loves you, but nobody likes you. And that is the loneliest feeling in the world

Comment

Originally posted by Nubber View Post
              Hi thanks for all the replies really appreciate it, urm not sure where digging them into ground came from, I was just wondering in the uk due to our colder weather if it's wise to use loads of wood chips as mulch, like if I got one layer ontop of the soil will it cause any damage to add a few more layers on top of that
              Our Atlantic cousins have hotter weather but we have wetter weather Its the moisture that breaks them down. I used to use them on my paths until I realised I was basically walking on a muck heap. After a year I dug them up and spread them over the beds where they did much more good.
              I imagine that woodland plants that don't need a lot of nitrogen would benefit from the mulch. Raspberries, black, white and red currants should all benefit.
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

So because it's wetter here does that means it's more moisture ? Because I been offered about 4000ltr worth of wood chip and I think I can cover my garden in less than a 1000. So I was wondering is it safe to use loads

Comment

I'll have any you don't want

Comment

So because it's wetter here does that means it's more moisture ? Because I been offered about 4000ltr worth of wood chip and I think I can cover my garden in less than a 1000. So I was wondering is it safe to use loads
                    Just watch what you're doing. I don't want to frighten anyone but there was a case not long ago of someone dying from fungal spores from woodchip. He had shovelled a big pile of it and the spores got onto his chest.

This was one instance but there have been quite a few.

Acute Respiratory Illness Following Occupational Exposure to Wood Chips -- Ohio
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

again thanks for all the comments guys, but I still hope someone can answer my question, is it safe for the plants to cover the ground with layers of wood chips ?

Comment

What sort of plants do you mean?
                        Established trees, bushes, shrubs or seedlings - or just bare soil waiting to be planted?
                        You need to be more specific!

Comment

At the moment I have 3 fruit trees and it's surrounded by grass, at the moment I have no plans for planting anything else just yet, but that might change in the spring with veg seeds. It will all be edibles I plant.

Comment

again thanks for all the comments guys, but I still hope someone can answer my question, is it safe for the plants to cover the ground with layers of wood chips ?
                            Go on Utube & search for "Back to Eden Method" & that will answer your question as we seem to be going round in circles.
                            Last edited by Bigmallly; 18-11-2016, 06:12 PM.
                            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                            -----------------------------------------------------------
                            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Bigmally - I finished watching about an hour ago, 5 hours long, and from what I understand you don't need anything for your soil except god and wood chips. One thing it didn't answer for me or I might have missed is out there it's dry and hot and they keep topping up on wood chips. Here is South Wales it's wet and I know now it's moisture that breaks down the woodchips but does moisture come from wet cold places or hot humid places ?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X