No announcement yet.

Raised beds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snadger, thank you for just the kind of answer I was after! Nice bullet points! Makes sense too!

Alice, thats a good point actually as my Mam cant bend down very far now and is struggling to weed etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
      I would re-jiggle the beds to make them the length of your boards rather than join them! 12' is a good working size for beds!
      It was a bit of extra work but now my beds are 13' x 4' (the boards where actually 13' long) and I also took the opportunity to make them north - south rather than the original east - west. The idea of which should means equal sun when coming to ripening tomatoes etc.
      Oneflewovers Blog

Comment

If you use the term "square foot" in the search box there are a lot of posts by grapes that will help you find heaps of info on raised beds.

Comment

Don't want to sound thick but where would I get scaffolder's boards - scrounge some off a building site or would I get them from somewhere like Wickes or B&Q?

Comment

my beds are 12 by 4 ' and alined N-S and made of treated wood , but trying a new type of just a 6" board with a plastic liner to stop the mares tail and it will be 8m long and mounded up to a depth of about 18" and 4' wide.
            ---) CARL (----
            ILFRACOMBE
            NORTH DEVON

a seed planted today makes a meal tomorrow!

www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf

http://mountain-goat.webs.com/

now in blog form ! UPDATED 15/4/09

Comment

If growing overwintering veg, do you still manure the beds in the autumn? How does this affect any standing crops (parsnip, cauli and so on)?
              Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Originally posted by blackcatlois View Post
                Don't want to sound thick but where would I get scaffolder's boards - scrounge some off a building site or would I get them from somewhere like Wickes or B&Q?
                In the Yellow Pages, but look for sales & hire, rather than erectors. The ones I got where off-hire and a "pound notes" sale.
                Oneflewovers Blog

Comment

Originally posted by blackcatlois View Post
                  A lot of people use pallets found in builders skips to make the beds. Pallets are 4' long so lend themselves to 4'X4' beds. Corner blocks also come from the pallets, which allows you to build the beds up to whatever size you wish them to be.

Comment

Thanks both for your replies, much appreciated

Comment

I have found scaffold planks for about £12 each new. I also can get hold of pallets, I didn't think they would be of use in raised beds as they would rot quickly? Is this right if not I can save myself some money.
                      Derbyshire born Derbyshire bred & I'm not thick int'arm ort'ead!

Comment

Roofing contractors are a good source of scaffold boards!
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by littleweed View Post
                          I have found scaffold planks for about £12 each new. I also can get hold of pallets, I didn't think they would be of use in raised beds as they would rot quickly? Is this right if not I can save myself some money.
                          That seems an awful lot of money, a 13 x 6ft bed would be £36. Old scaffold planks will be just as long lasting but may have saw cuts or chips out of them which makes them unusable at full length. Ask for ex rental boards.
                          Oneflewovers Blog

Comment

where is the search box?

Originally posted by Jaxom View Post
                            If you use the term "square foot" in the search box there are a lot of posts by grapes that will help you find heaps of info on raised beds.
                            I'm sure that I'm going to feel very embarassed when I get the answer to this question, but I have searched all over and am clearly blind. I can't find the search box! Could some kind soul please put me out of my misery and tell me where I can find it?

Thanks!

Comment

try this

Members List Calendar New Posts Search Quick Links Log Out

*****************************************************************

At the top of this page you will see titles as above in white type set in a green bar, place cursor over the word search and click, a box appears. Bobs your uncle.
                              Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X