X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
    We have banned carpets on our site.
    Wish ours had

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

buried glass

Just discovered a whole load of sheet glass about a spade-depth down. It's almost as though someone's buried a greenhouse in the hope it would sprout and grow a few nice new ones!

Even with my best effort, I don't think I'm managing to pick all of it out as I dig -and sieving the soil would mean I'd have to dry it out undercover first, so could take a while…

I'm sure I'll be able to grow something in that corner (after all, the weeds managed this year!), but do I need to have cleared all the glass before I try to grow root veg there??

Comment

It's gonna be a nightmare to get rid of all the glass. All you can do is be extra careful & remove pieces as you find them.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Thanks BM. I will be careful, and try to make sure I wear gloves without holes when I am working that area��

Comment

It's a shame glass does not have magnetic properties.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

On my new plot after covering with thick black plastic sheets to kill the weeds, the third dig uncovered old carpet when I peeled the plastic back. The weeds had grown through it and hidden it, now they were dead it was obvious.

I took the opportunity of bonfire night to have a bonfire (even let off some rockets and had my own bonfire party), and used that to get rid of the carpet. As I had a load of wood and tree branches that I had cut down, wood left by the previous tennant and of course the carpets it was the perfect opportunity. Old carpets can have chemicals in them from any cleaning they had, carcogens and any manner of nasties so I decided incineration was the best option.

I cut the carpet up into strips with a sharp stanley knife so they were manageable as wet carpet weighs a ton. Then rolled them up and stacked then ready for the burn. Once the bonfire was a pile of red glowing embers I then added them one at a time ensuring each one had burnt fully.

Problem gone.
              The day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck ...

... is the day they make vacuum cleaners

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X