Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Gardener needs advice - Lots of questions.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello and welcome.
    I have very heavy clay, too. Indeed when I started it was mostly only yellow and bright blue clay subsoil as the topsoil had been stripped off for building. We just kept adding any organic matter I could get hold of into the areas ear-marked for veggie growing.
    I compost everything bar brambles, bind weed and a very agressive running pasture grass. The ratio I use is simply what I have, but the compost turns out fine and, for me, I think the secret is turning it every couple of weeks and making sure it doesn't dry out.
    I would say don't overthink it, just do it!!
    Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

Browns for the compost can be varied. I have access to plenty of brown currugated cardboard, I try to avoid to much printed matter because modern inks might have plastics in them. Shredded newspaper is used too, my neighbour has a rabbit and I get her shredded paper used as rabbit bedding in mine. A great source is wood chips, these can be from a freindly arbourist or collected from the roadside after the electricity contractors have trimmed back near power lines. Collect your Autumn leaves too (and any one elses in black bags).
      composting can be a simple and easy as you like or complex and labour intensive. You tube has a selection of people trying different methods. If you're in no hurry for the products go simple/easy, if you need compost in 12 weeks you must mix and turn the heap to get in air etc.
      I make as much as I can and still look for outside sources to make more or get free materials. That mis suffolk scheme I linked earlier also do a one day free course on the essentials, it's not rocket surgery ;-)

Comment

Thanks for the tips

Bugger, I was at the south Suffolk show. I should have kept an eye out for a stand 

Comment

Wow those are seem good discounts! £15 for TWO 330l bins? That's an awesome deal!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X