help needed please,fruit and veg related

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help needed please,fruit and veg related

Hello.its my first time herenice to meet you all.
    I am going to try and use your expert knowledge to get me started (from scratch) growing some fruit and vegetables in a greenhouse in my garden.I just want to keep this to a small scale as there is only me and my partner to feed.Please could anyone tell me what i need to start this project and if it is posible.
    Thank you very much.x

HI Lisa, and welcome to the Vine! It's my first year too, so were learning together, I think!

I think that you stand an excellent chance of growing some really beautiful veg for you and your OH. You are off to a flying start as you have a greenhouse already!

YOu'll still find a few veg plants in the garden centres to get you going (our local wilko still has some tomato and pepper plants), and there's lots of quick growing crops that you can sow in the garden or in pots - like lettuce and radish. I'm still sowing turnips, and french beans and a courgette or two.

As far as greenhouse crops and fruit go - not much of a clue on that, but a clever grape or two will be along to help.....

Happy growing!

Comment

Hiya Lisa, you're too late to sow most of the greenhouse stuff now but I did see some quite large pepper, tomato etc plants in our garden centre a the weekend, think they were reduced as they want to clear the stock. DIY chains such as B&Q and Homebase may have some also. Got to be worth a try.

Salad stuffs are definitely worth a go as are courgettes, peas and dwarf beans for the garden. You can also have a think how you want to plan your plot for your first full season next year. Also plan what you want to over winter as you'll have time to plant seeds in the autumn or later this summer.

I too grow in the garden / greenhouse for myself and the OH and you'll find you can manage to get pretty good crops although I supplement with a veg box most of the year as we eat loads of fruit and veg. At the moment I've got toms, peppers, chillis and aubergines in the greenhouse and peas, French beans, runner beans, mange tout, loads of lettuce, raddish, more toms, tomatillos, cauliflower, courgettes, sweet corn and squash in the garden. Not huge amounts but enough for us and that's without mentioning the permanent soft fruit bushes / canes.

Others will probably be able to give you better advice though so you should be off to a good start.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Hello and welcome to the vine Lisa. Hope you have fun growing your fruit and veg - can't offer much advice as I only got a greenhouse this year. Would just suggest you try growing a selection of things that you both enjoy eating - and give all sorts of stuff a try. It will either work or not work and seeds don't cost a fortune. Next year you will be able to get started earlier and have a full greenhouse in no time at all! Good luck
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

Welcome Lisa,
          My best tip is to grow for flavour! try different types, and see which you like best.
          Do you have any garden space for a small veg area?

Don't forget to grow some herbs.

Good luck and don't give up, it is so worth growing your own! oh, and very addictive too.

Comment

Best advice I can give as another newbie, is to find someone to split the 12 packs of everything with!

I was only saying to my Mum at the weekend that next year we'll just buy one tray of everything and split it! I have 12 brussel sprout plants, 12 lettuces and 12 brocolli's growing at the moment just for me and my other half....and Mum has the same!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X