No announcement yet.

Fleecing for frosts

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well it was 0.7 last night and according to Metcheck it was not going to be anywhere near that low, so for tonight where they are warning of 0 degrees so its likely to be colder than that, it's as many trays covered with propagators and a later of bubble wrap as possible and the terracotta pot heater in my Space Saver Greenhouse.
    sigpic
    . .......Man Vs Slug
    Click Here for my Diary and Blog
    Nutters Club Member

Comment

well the blowaway got down to 2.5 last night - some of my tomatoes are starting to look slightly unhealthy. Think I'm going to hedge my bets and bring them all in for tonight - soon, currently procrastinating

Comment

I'm on the edge of Sheffield and the Peak District National Park and when I made my central heating controller I added a sensor for the outside temperature (shaded and above ground level).

I record the temperatures (see the graph in the pic) so I can see that the weather changed for me at lunchtime on Friday but only got down to 5.5 degC last night.

I wouldn't worry about anything in the greenhouse until it got to below 5degC early in the night and below that later into the night.

As the graph shows, the temperature only dips down for short periods up to 6am and then rises.

If I see that the air temperature is 5degC or below as I go to bed I might fleece squash but otherwise I'll sleep easy.

But every place is different so your temperatures won't be the same as mine.

Attached Files
        The proof of the growing is in the eating.
        Leave Rotten Fruit.
        Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potasium - potash.
        Autant de têtes, autant d'avis!!!!!
        Il n'est si méchant pot qui ne trouve son couvercle.

Comment

Good night sweet seedlings....

Stay warm
          Attached Files
          sigpic
          . .......Man Vs Slug
          Nutters Club Member

Comment

Do you have a link how to create that pot Cadalot ? I'd sleep In there
            Northern England.

Comment

I bought 3 Terracotta pots of different sizes, Tesco has them in the season isle at the moment but I got mine at a garden centre last year. I found a bolt and the square washer on the top was from my box of stuff that may be useful in the future in the shed.

Washers to keep the bolt in the middle on the outer larger pot as the drainage hole is bigger than the head of the bolt, and some larger washers to space them out and a nut and away you go.

The blocks to hold it up are the bottom of pop bottles cut off and filled with post concrete left over from another job. but you can use bricks or anything that will take the heat to hold it up so the candle can go under.

I stand it on an old metal baking tray to capture the wax from the candle.

This morning at 5:30 it's 3 degrees outside and 6.1 degrees inside the greenhouse but lowest temperatures overnight were 0.3 outside and 0.8 inside
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Cadalot; 15-05-2016, 04:58 AM.
              sigpic
              . .......Man Vs Slug
              Nutters Club Member

Comment

Thanks Cadalot
                Northern England.

Comment

My 3 tomatoes have been outside for a week, unprotected. This morning they had one or two white patches on their leaves from the cold, but I told them not to be such sissies.
                  Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                  Endless wonder.

Comment

My outdoor Hi-Lo tells me that here in the city it has not dropped below 8'C but the countryside will be different.
                    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

My greenhouse got down to 3.6'C last night, no damage. The potatoes down the allotment were fine too. Tonight is expected to be similar, but it is supposed to warm up a bit from tomorrow.
                      My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                      Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

My blowaway got down to 2 overnight -at 8am this morning there was no sign of frost but it was sunny. I've hedged my bets and put my duplicate toms back in the blowaway with the rest still inside for the next few days. I have too many anyway!

Comment

My greenhouse got down to 4.6c toms, peppers and a chilli pepper was ok...they say 5c to night so will fleece again tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by vixylix View Post
                            My blowaway got down to 2 overnight
                            Same in my greenhouse! good job everything was either fleeced or under polysheeting to keep them a bit warmer. Fingers crossed for everybody tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Cadalot View Post
                              I also don't buy the Brother own brand tapes but the compatible ESELLER Direct Tape ESD-231 8mm tapes at about a 1/5th of the price off ebay or Amazon
                              Don't know if these are of any interest Alan, looks good value for money:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                              Last edited by Bigmallly; 15-05-2016, 07:54 PM.
                              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                              -------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                              -----------------------------------------------------------
                              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Thanks, I bought a pack of five on a similar offer on Amazon a few weeks ago, so I'm good for the moment but there is always next year.
                                sigpic
                                . .......Man Vs Slug
                                Nutters Club Member

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X