As if by magic ....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As if by magic ....

... I have three caulis and four calabrese which appeared overnight last night! I swear there was nothing but leaves there yesterday morning and now there they are, huge and looking yummy. It's great, it's magic, I'm a grower!!
    Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Easy peasy eh? (Not to mention the work, the worry, etc.)
    You're officially a grower. Well done that girl! Now eat 'em!
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Well done! Great result.

So which varieties did you grow and how did you grow them? ... share that knowledge!

Comment

Sorry, should have added the variety - I was too excited that I actually have a crop!! The caulis are All Year Round and the calabrese is Belstar (tho think the seed catalogues call it brocolli?). Both were sowed early April in a cold frame and planted out into a brand new bed about a month later. I was worried the ground would be too soft, and I didnt realise until I started reading all the advice on here that I should have added manure - the ground is just reclaimed lawn with the addition of a load of topsoil. I sprinkled growmore into the hole for each plant, planted them far far too close together (I can just about squeeze my ikkle foot between them now they've grown up) and just left them to it! Once they got to about a foot high I started feeding with miraclegro once a fortnight (cos that's what I'm used to doing with my flowers). I'll let you know how they taste tomorrow! Think it's just beginners luck to be honest that they look as good as they do, and so quickly as well! I gather from other posts on here that I can leave the calabrese in the ground for side shoots to develop?
        Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Yes, the calabrese should produce some extra spears in a few weeks if you leave it in situ.

Comment

My calebrese are producing masses of side shoots now, I cut out the centre stems about 2 weeks ago now.

Getting a daily supply and they taste fab. I do have quite alot of them though...

An onion can make people cry but there's never been a vegetable that can make people laugh.

Will Rogers

Comment

Well, I've cut the main heads off all 7 of my plants and gave them a quick feed last night, so here's hoping for some side shoots .... it just gets better all the time this growing lark!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X