Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• compost bin and slugs!!

evening folks-
    as very much a beginner i am having more disasters than triumphs in the garden but very much enjoying the learning curve. one thing i have been really pleased with is my compost bin- i could almost sit in it myself the stuff looks that rich. now the stupid question-- i have noticed a number of slugs in my compost and we all know what a total pest they are in general so are they a problem in compost?? i have never noticed them in there before and think they probably sneaked in with recent grass clippings as the grass was really long when i cut it after all the wet weather. any input much welcome- i do not want to lose my nice, juicy compost.

I dont know if they have an effect but I put all mine in the compost bin, I thought it may do the same thing as a wormery, but as I'm learning as I go along I'll keep you posted.

Comment

Slugs eat green plants, and as such they are part of the recycling scheme. They are a bl***y nuisance when they eat your growing crops, but in a compost heap they should help with breaking stuff down. Just beware, they may be using your heap as a cheap B & B and sneaking out during the night to eat whatever's growing on your plot.

Comment

never thought of the little bleeders popping out from the bin for a bit of a feed- i think i may try a trench full of salt around the bin to try and keep them doing only useful work.

Comment

Originally posted by MIDDLE AGED BEGINNER View Post
          never thought of the little bleeders popping out from the bin for a bit of a feed- i think i may try a trench full of salt around the bin to try and keep them doing only useful work.
          Try broken up egg shells!
          The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
          Brian Clough

Comment

My compost bins are full of slugs. It's a waste of time trying to get rid of them... they break down a lot of plant matter.
            Just be thankful they are there and not eating other (live) plants ... is my view...

Comment

apparently there are good and bad slugs. As far as i am aware the ones in your bin should be ok, while in there they aren't doing any damage elsewhere.

Comment

After reading this I checked my new compost bin which we've only been using for a few days and there were lots of really fat slugs in it. I figure the same thing - if they're in there then they're not on my plants and they probably help with the composting process.
                My organic gardening etc blog - http://thecornflake.blogspot.com

Comment

If you actually look at the slugs closely, many of them in a compost heap are greyer and lighter in colour than the usual black/black&red variety. (at least mine are). Suggests they live there most of the time...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X