Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cherry Toms

Hi everyone

I am new to this (website, forums, growing veg, the lot!).

Earlier this year (March) I planted some cherry toms in tubs. I thinned them to have 2 plants in each tub.

They've flowered over the last couple of weeks.

Do you think I'll get any toms this year?

(I seem to take forever to get things done, and think I plant things too late!).

Also, I haven't fed them yet. Should I start now they're flowering?

Please help an absolute beginner!

Thanks

Hello, beetie, and welcome to the Vine!

I'm pretty new at this too, but have some tumbler toms (cherry toms) in a hanging basket, and they've started to flower about a 2 wks ago, and I now have a tiny tomato (about the size of a pea!) Hurrah!

You will certainly get tomatoes this year - I'm not sure on the feeding thing, but there are lots of clever grapes around who will be able to answer that one for both of us!

Comment

Thank you Hazel!

You've made my day, I was SO excited to get a reply!

They are tumbler toms. I'm now very hopeful that I'll get a little tom now!

I'll keep you posted.

I've just had a look at the label on the tom food, it says I should start feeding after the '1st truss has set'. Any ideas what this means?

Take care

Comment

I think it means I should be feeding my toms!

The 'truss' is the thing which has got flowers on - when it has 'set' is when there are toms growing where the flowers have just been.

If you've got time, pop over to the Sunday Night CHat thread - that's where all the regulars are at the mo - don't worry about understanding a word of it, just dive in and say 'hello'!

Comment

Make sure you feed them as well. I feed mine with a tea bag soaked in water a couple of times a week and once evry couple of weeks I put chicken pellets scattered on. I've already had to give tomatoes away as there are too many,

Comment

Welcome to the Vine Beetie. You'll get tomatoes for sure and lots of them. I feed mine with phostrogen while they are flowering ( but the choice of feed is yours) and once the tomatoes start appearing switch to Tomorite, but again the choice of tomato feed is yours.
            My outdoor cherry toms have nice little green toms on now. My greenhouse toms are a bit behind, but with good flower trusses on. Strange - isn't it. They were all planted at the same time.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I use Tomorite or seaweed extract for my toms. Little bit in each watering
              Last edited by Nicos; 16-07-2007, 01:15 AM.
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hi Beetie - this is my first year too and following advice on here earlier, I've been feeding my toms with tomorite once a week ever since they started flowering. I now have lots of tiny green toms all asking for some sunshine to bask in. I'm sure yours will suddenly start doing the same.
                NSB - teabags? What do they give the plants in the way of fertiliser? I would prefer to use something I didnt get out of a bottle if poss so am intersted in this idea.
                Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

You are ALL stars!

I'm sat at work at the moment, and couldn't resist having a look to see if anyone had posted any advice.

I am overwhelmed by the response! You have all given me lots of useful advice, and yes, I prefer to use the organic approach if poss, so the t-bags idea will be used!

This is a great resource, it saves me pestering my partner's dad for advice!

Cheers

Comment

tea bags?

Originally posted by NSB View Post
                    Make sure you feed them as well. I feed mine with a tea bag soaked in water a couple of times a week and once evry couple of weeks I put chicken pellets scattered on. I've already had to give tomatoes away as there are too many,
                    I've never heard of tea bags as tomato fertiliser. I put my tea bags in the compost: should I be putting some of them on the tomatoes instead? What do they (the tea bags!) do?

Comment

my toms

this is the first time i have grown toms, and look there great, abd everywhere pic taken 2 days ago . good luck with yours

Comment

tomato problem

great pic makes me really jealous!! my cherry toms are doing ok outside against a wall but the ones in the greenhouse have something wrong- once they have flowered, the flower buds just fall off at their base leaving only a stalk- there are no fruits at all- could this be a result of the greenhouse overheating?? i am sure someone knows the answer so many thanks in advance.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X