when to harvest beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when to harvest beans

some of my french beans are about 4 inches long now, does anyone know how big I should let them get before I pick them, and is it normal for them to feel a bit furry? lol.

Thanks!

You can pick them when it suits you Salina. I prefer them young and tender and we had some of ours at about 4 inches last night. Really nice.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Don't try to pod them at 4" tho', Salina! Cook them whole like french beans - yummy!

Comment

I usually pick mine around 6 inches, best of both worlds, young and tender and a decent crop too.

Comment

I think it was french beans Hazel. That's what I was answering about anyway!
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
            I think it was french beans Hazel. That's what I was answering about anyway!
            Ah - yes - thought it was bored beans for some reason. Memo to self: read posts properly before replying.

Comment

thanks for the advice, I'm picking my biggest one tonight and cooking it. the ones outisde have only just started flowering, but hopefully I will have more than 1 bean to eat soon lol.
              Last edited by Salina; 15-07-2007, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
                Ah - yes - thought it was bored beans for some reason. Memo to self: read posts properly before replying.
                Now I realise that this is a probably a stupid question, but what are BORED beans, I've seen them mentioned a few times on this site and had assumed that it was a typo for broad beans but am now wondering if they're something else.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                  Now I realise that this is a probably a stupid question, but what are BORED beans, I've seen them mentioned a few times on this site and had assumed that it was a typo for broad beans but am now wondering if they're something else.
                  Sorry, Alison, they are exactly that - it was a sort of typo a while back, and it seems to have caught the collective Vine imagination! I blame Wellie, as that was where I first saw it - though I don't know if she can claim originality.

I tickled me, anyway - and i do hope that bit of daftness has not confused anyone unduly!

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
                    Sorry, Alison, they are exactly that - it was a sort of typo a while back, and it seems to have caught the collective Vine imagination! I blame Wellie, as that was where I first saw it - though I don't know if she can claim originality.

I tickled me, anyway - and i do hope that bit of daftness has not confused anyone unduly!
                    Collective daftness is fine by me, especially now I'm in on the joke!!!!!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X