What size pots etc?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size pots etc?

This year I decided to start everything in seed trays / tiny pots / plugs and pot on when big enough and plant out when they're big enough to withstand slug attacks
    So far, all working well
    Also decided to grow toms etc in pots rather than growbags - I don't like growbags!

But, what size pots should I be using?
    I found some tomato pots in B&Q - they're about 12" wide - all my big tomato plants are in these now, 4 more baby tom plants in 6" pots for the time being (tom pots are filled with compost from growbags)
    I've got loads of peppers currently in 6" (2 litre?) pots as that's the biggest I've got left now - are they big enough?
    I've got ridge cucumbers in a growbag inside the greenhouse and couple more outside in 6" pots - are these big enough?

Is there a guide anywhere to what size pots we should use for full size plants?
    http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Ususally I find that the bigger the pot, the bigger the plant. Although they will grow in 6" they would grow better in 12".
    Cucumbers need the same sort of size pot as tomatoes generally but peppers can manage in smaller.

I don't like grow bags much either

Comment

Most plants like Toms do best in something around 9" .... ( fill in your own punch lines) the Peppers about the same but don't pot them straight up into a pot this size it's a recipe for disaster.

Plants need air to get into the compost as well as moisture so need to "dry" out. If you prick them straight out in to a pot this side the rootball won't be big enough to use all the water so at worst they will basically drown or at best you will wash all the nutrients out of the compost -either way it's a waste.

SO if you can get some bigger pots ( or flower buckets from the supermarket) go from your 6" pots to these when they are ready.

If you grow things like dwarf french beans you can get away with 6 or 7" pots

Don't forget, the compost will sustain a plant for about 3 - 4 weeks then it will need suplimentary feeding (make it up to 1/2 the strength on the bottle but give it more frequently)
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

Dont forget, if you "pot on" a plant too soon, it will grow massive roots and lesser growth on top. It's best to let them grow to the pot's size then move them on.

An onion can make people cry but there's never been a vegetable that can make people laugh.

Will Rogers

Comment

I've found that tomatoes, cucumbers, a few french bean plants, even courgettes do marvellously in old flower buckets with holes poked in the bottom. Most supermarkets, petrol stations, Spar, Co-op etc are happy to get rid of them as they get more with every cut flower delivery. Much cheaper than the 'Tomato pots', and bigger. Then you only need worry about paying for the compost!

Comment

After pricking out, I'm never sure at what point to pot on. Is there any rule of thumb as to when to move a young plant into the next size pot. I guess the idea is to keep the young plant growing at a continuous, even rate.
            I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

You can usually see roots trying to fight their way our of the drainage hole terrier, and then you know it needs a bigger pot. Small steps is the rule though!
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                You can usually see roots trying to fight their way our of the drainage hole terrier, and then you know it needs a bigger pot. Small steps is the rule though!
                Thanks Flummery. The problem is when you don't see roots fighting their way out and the plants just sit there doing nothing. Do you still pot up, or repot into new compost with same size pot? Thats what I meant.
                I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

If they are stalled I wouldn't think there's much point in potting them on. You'd get the same effect by feeding them as you would by renewing compost and it would disturb the plant less.
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

cheers for the advice guys - looks like i'm doing mostly the right thing with the potting on
                    i'm being given a "vanload" of pots this week ....... won't buy any more pots until i know what sizes these pots are!
                    think i'm gonna need a new shed .... seen a nice sized potting shed .... should do nicely ...
                    http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

Not sure about how environmentally friendly it is, but I used those little peat pots for my seedlings. I could tell when they needed potting on because the roots were actually growing out the side of the pot. Also, all I had to do to pot on was to pop the plant, peat pot and all, into my bigger pot, becuase the peat pots naturally decompose.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X