Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potash quesion

Hello

I read on another thread that this is a good time to put potash or wood ash on tomatoes as so many nutrients have been washed away by the rain.

I have a small chimney heater in the garden that I burn untreated wood offcuts in. My question is, the remains are often in big charred lumps still...do I need to do anything to them to grind them up or something? ALso, do you just put the ash on the surface of the soil or do you dig it in around the roots?

many thanks

Big lumps are not ideal - they'll take too long to break down. How about bashing with a hammer on a tarpaulin or similar?

I would sprinkle some around the base of the plant and gently work it in.

Comment

I obtain mine by taking all the ashes and putting them through a big garden sieve or riddle .. discarding anything that does not go through so maximum size is 2mm square - at worst . The white dust/fine ash at the bottom of the fire is best: since I burn in a steel container, I keep the lid on when cold to preevnt it all being washed out...as potash is very soluble...

I actually invert the container and pour everything into a wheelbarrow, remove the larger lumps and then sieve into a plastic tub or bag...which I keep in the dry.

Comment

Surely "charred lumps" are unburnt wood?
        Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
        Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
        I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
          Surely "charred lumps" are unburnt wood?
          Carbonised wood, like charcoal.

Try adding a few handfuls to a watering can, but remember, you also need nitrogen and phosphorous so use another feed.

Comment

I keep the big charred lumps (charcoal) and put them on the next fire.

Comment

thanks all, I'll just use the finer stuff and maybe try a bit of bashing of the bigger lumps. cheers :-)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X