No announcement yet.

Tomato obession.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love growing tomatoes and not sure how, but have never had blight or blossom end rot. I really didn't know much about growing them only knew you had to remove elbows, until I found the vine. Maybe the old adage of just plant and let them get on with it works. ( hope I haven't jinxed myself now)
    Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

Tomato obsessed grower here!

I love growing more than anything else, read up all about the different varieties.

Ive even planned what im growing next year and the crosses I want to do next year to grow the year after!

Comment

Originally posted by clod View Post
        it's good to know lots of other people love growing toms too - if I could only grow one thing (appalling idea!) it'd be a tomato for sure. I've been thinking about next year's as well.

I grow cordons outside but double cordons in the greenhouse - works fine and twice the trusses!
        That's today's new thing. Double cordon tomatoes. Off to ms G$$gle.

Comment

I grow toms as a double cordon. Just grow on one of the side shoots that's very near the ground and treat as a main stem. It's a bit messy but you might be able yo make out the second stem being trained on this Pantano tom.
          The main stem is tied onto a cane and the low growing side shoot is trained up string.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Scarlet; 30-09-2015, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Tomatoes are the best things to grow we eat them most days. Not just fresh but in pasta sauce, bolognaise, chilli, chutneys etc and they are one of the most giving plants. One plant can feed a family for many days in the Summer and there's loads of varieties to choose from that make it interesting. They are easy to preserve too so they give all year round. Great return on your efforts, they are easy to grow and save seed from and everyone has their favourites. I could ramble on about toms for hours. I know, I need to get out more!

Comment

Your' e definitely not on your Scarlet. On rainy days I find myself googling all kind of sights looking for some new varieties.
              I have made sauce, pasata, soup and roasted them with garlic ond olive oil.
              I have frozen some which i put into stir fries in the winter, and cook them in the eok when i am cooking mince and onions.
              I can't imagine life wothout tomatoes.
              I have 4 grandkids and none of them will eat a tomato.
              All the more for us.

And when your back stops aching,
              And your hands begin to harden.
              You will find yourself a partner,
              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

It is obvious that do not want to plant tomatos as a patch . Just wonder what is spacing required for bush tomato like 'latah' which is not very compact. is it good to co plant latah and grushovka ? or bush and cordon together to save space?

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]59676[/ATTACH]I grow toms as a double cordon. Just grow on one of the side shoots that's very near the ground and treat as a main stem. It's a bit messy but you might be able yo make out the second stem being trained on this Pantano tom.
                  The main stem is tied onto a cane and the low growing side shoot is trained up string.
                  Brilliant thank you. My toms this year have acres of useless space at the bottom and jammed at the top so this is marvellous!

Comment

For double cordons I do just the same as Scarlet.
                    I probably started doing it after finding I'd let a side shoot get away, but letting it stay as it was making flower trusses.
                    The plant gets quite heavy though (all being well!) so the support needs to be strong: I have wires along the length above the plants and strings coming down from these.

Comment

Obsessed with tomatoes? No. Not at all. I only schlepped that big bucket with the Purple Ukraine into the greenhouse this afternoon because there are still quite a few toms on it and nights are getting really nippy. Would be a shame if they didn't ripen in the end! And I only had to throw out three other smaller tomato plants after picking the last of their fruits so I could make some room for that bucket. I had to be careful as I carried the newcomer to the designated spot because there's only a narrow path left through all the other plants. All toms of course. That's what a greenhouse is for after all, isn't it. And it's really nice to see all the different shapes and colours. But obsessed, no. I never even counted the varieties, which goes to show indifferent I am about them, I don't care at all whether there are a dozen more than last year, or twenty. And I don't mind having to carry watering can after watering can down the garden twice daily on warm days, after all physical exercise is good for my health. The only thing I worry about now is where to put those remaining ten or so large pots that are still standing alongside the outbuilding. I'm sure they won't like the cold...
                      ...bonkers about beans... and now a proud Nutter!

Comment

P. S.
                        And I only took a look at this thread because I was curious to see whether anything like a tomato obsession actually does exist!
                        ...bonkers about beans... and now a proud Nutter!

Comment

Is there a similar thread for chilli obsessives?
                          I know people get obsessed with tomatoes, but they *really* get obsessed with chillies.

Comment

Don't think so Chris but why not start one yourself.

And when your back stops aching,
                            And your hands begin to harden.
                            You will find yourself a partner,
                            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chris11 View Post
                              Is there a similar thread for chilli obsessives?
                              I know people get obsessed with tomatoes, but they *really* get obsessed with chillies.
                              There's usually a few, but this year hasn't been the best for chilli growing. Well, for me anyway. You can always start one. What did you grow this year, are you overwintering any and whats on your grow list for next year?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X