Crop rotation confusion!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crop rotation confusion!

Hi all, hellppp! I have a couple of big containers currently growing garlic. When I harvest this crop in the next week or two, I was going to replace it with my baby igloo cauli plants currently in little pots and then once they're picked with broad beans to overwinter. But I've been reading around and think I may have the best rotation order the wrong way around?! Will my plan work, and what would you follow each with? (Sorry I guess that's two questions rolled into one, hope you get what I'm trying to ask!).
    Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Don't worry too much, the perfect rotation is the ideal but not always (to say the least) feasible in the average home plot. In reality if you end up having to follow on for the odd year with the same crop you probably won't have a problem but you will need to make more effort on the feeding front. From what you say, you're following on with a different group, if not the best route. In short, my advice (but others may differ) is to go ahead with your original plan and try and plan the ideal next time (never seem to manage it 100% personally but I am very tight for space)

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

With containers moggsue, rotation is not really an issue as you will need to feed the compost after the first few weeks anyway and after a growing season will, ideally be replaced with new.

Grow what you want with impunity.

Comment

Well spotted Piglet, didn't notice the bit about containers! Must learn to read posts properly!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Thanks both, I shall carry on with my plan as was then! Speaking of feeding, am I right that I need to add nitrate of soda to the compost for the caulis, or will they manage just with a little manure added as I plant them out? I was planning on adding nutrients to the existing compost until the beans are finished next summer, and then starting again, which will have been a total of roughly 15 months usage.
          Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X