Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tired looking Tumblers

Hello Grapes,

Whilst most things are doing rather nicely now (except the brasicas, blimey they take ages) my tumling toms are looking a bit sorry for themselves.

They have flowered well, plenty of trusses but hopefully not too many, and we even have a good handful of fruits starting to gain a bit of weight, but the leaves are looking a bit limp and there's not as many fruits per truss as I was hoping. They are in the light all day - in a hanging basket by my front door - don't seem to have dried out or got too soggy. I'm remembering to feed them although a lot of the water does run out of the basket. There's three plants in the basket and they seem to have plently of room generally. I've pinched out all the newest shoots so it can concentrate on what's already growing.

Do you think that maybe the weather just hasn't been good enough for them or could it be something else?

Any advice will be gratefully accepted.

I would vote for the weather Scruffy Duffy. For June it's been dire. Hope it perks up soon.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I'd definitely go with the weather. I have Tumling Toms too - have baskets outside, protected by windreak fabric and although healthy, they do not look like it. I have more hanging in the polytunnel, twice the size, a lot greener and more flowers on the trusses, but they too will have to go out soon.

When you say a lot of the water runs out the basket, I would take it down and just check that the surface of the compost isn't capped (that there is no hard "crust" on it, as this tends to force the water to run down the edges and not really get soaked up. If it is capped, give it a little turn over with a dinner fork or similar.
      Rat

British by birth
      Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
      http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Mine are the same Scruffy Duffy. It's the first time i've grown them in baskets (usually just stick to greenhouse) so wasn't sure if i'd done something wrong. Mine are in the 'sun all-day' at front of house but just don't think there has been enough 'prpoer' sun on them. It might be my first and last year!!!

Comment

Thanks guys, that's really reassuring.

And thanks for the tip SewerRat, I shall definately look at the soil, although the OH will have to get it down for me as I'm only a tiddler.

Fingers crossed that July more than makes up for June

SD

Comment

I've been growing 'Tumbler' for the past 4 years or so. This year they have really sulked. Normally you can't stop them - mine pretty much died when I went away on holiday in July last year, when it was super hot, but the tomatoes all ripened into a fantastic harvest.

Once we get the big yellow thing in the sky making a regular appearance again, they'll soon perk up. Probably when I go on holiday again and they'll die again, this time without forming any fruits first...
            http://inelegantgardener.blogspot.com

Comment

I've got one Tumbler (in a pot) with orange fruits already! I do find that they are usually the first to crop. It hasn't been as wet for us as in other places, and things are more or less OK.

Interestingly, the other Tumbler plant I have has grown completely differently - very tall with way too much foliage and not many flowers. Never had one do this before. I'm hoping it will come good eventually but it's obviously had too much Nitrogen in its early life. Whoops!

Comment

My tumbling toms are also looking very sad - thanks guys for the info above! Bernie
                Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

I've got my tumblers in hanging baskets in teh tunnels and one of them is already 2 foot high! I didn't expect it to grow like that.
                  ~
                  Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                  ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

They do seem to be a bit erratic in their growth pattern - you wouldn't think that mine are the same variety. Considering they are an F1 variety I put it down to the growing conditions rather than natural variation.

Comment

Like Rat, I've got some inside going mad and some outside being rather slower. The weather won't be helping but you also need to make sure they're getting plenty of food - if they're in hanging baskets and in heavy rain, all the nutrients could have been washed out. Give them a good feed, cross your fingers for better weather and sit back with a cup of tea.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X