Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where can i get "Stuff" free for my allotment?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will just never have what it takes to cold call someome and ask for stuff... I just couldn't do it! Wish I could.

Comment

Originally posted by lottie dolly View Post
      do not be afraid to go and ask,if you not ask you never will know
      This. Just remember, the worst thing that can happen is someone says "no".

The other thing you need (probably the most important thing) is PATIENCE! If you want something tomorrow, be prepared to go and buy it. Otherwise, just bide your time, keep your eyes peeled, tell people what you're looking for, and it WILL turn up. Eventually.
      Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
      By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
      While better men than we go out and start their working lives
      At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by mrbadexample View Post
        it WILL turn up. Eventually.
        yups but normally after you have bought it

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
          yups but normally after you have bought it
          Yes but then you have a spare. Or one for a mate that needs one...

Anyone know where I can get about 8' of roofing felt?
          Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
          By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
          While better men than we go out and start their working lives
          At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

So far the biggest thing I have learned with allotments and getting stuff for free.

"Don't ask, don't get."

Freecycle has been a brilliant find for me and secured me a large shed, wheelbarrow, burn bin, ladder garden, several hundred bricks, a few dozen paving flags, timber, several bags and boxes of plant pots and trays. Just for the price of diesel to go collect them and the time it takes.

I've even managed to start a local Freegle group in the hopes of spreading the wealth of getting stuff for free and keeping it from the landfill.
            Life should be more like Bonsai...

Comment

Prime example, on the top of the list on my local Freecycle page:

Bathroom Tiles
              Electric extension leads
              Bosch Hedge Trimmer, rechargeable
              Black & Decker Sander
              Wooden folding chairs

All could no doubt be put to use in the garden on down the lottie. All free but for the price of getting there and a nice email asking for them.

Then again, I guess we perhaps get a better class of "Crap to be given away" here in Rutland.
              Life should be more like Bonsai...

Comment

i obtained my plot in march this year and I have been helped and encouraged by other holders on my allotment. Obviously it depends on how friendly your fellow gardeners are but I was lucky enough to pick up spare tools, plants and most importantly for me, advice! I recommend to any newbie to meet & greet as many people as possible, not just people close by. I have found the more proactive I was, the more i was rewarded with freebies. And having been fairly successful in my growing season, i was able to repay kindness with surplus produce.

Also, as other people suggest, gumtree and word of mouth.

Comment

As well as the usual "freesites"

dont forget rhat sites like "freeadds" and "gumtree" also have free sections, always worth a look with more users

Comment

This gives me an idea , how about having a bargains section where we can post deals that we see for plants , seeds, equpment etc

I dont know who to contact about this or if there would be any support for it - what do you think?
                    82.6% of people believe any statstic!

Comment

Originally posted by janzbro View Post
                      This gives me an idea , how about having a bargains section where we can post deals that we see for plants , seeds, equpment etc

I dont know who to contact about this or if there would be any support for it - what do you think?
                      Do you mean a thread like this http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ers_21694.html

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X