No announcement yet.

Just starting out...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Hartland and welcome to the Jungle...........here's my backbreaking experience when I had my plot:

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...++40+days.html
    Last edited by Bigmallly; 18-05-2015, 05:11 PM.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Hallo and welcome. You,ve come to the right place for advice . This is a great place full of helpful people.
      stay and enjoy it.

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Hello Hartland - I nearly missed your arrival on the Vine.
        I think it's brilliant that a group of friends are taking on the plot as I have always admired the commune idea.
        The dandelion wine will warm your cockles come winter.
        Any ideas yet what will be your first growing projects?
        I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy View Post
          Hello Hartland - I nearly missed your arrival on the Vine.
          I think it's brilliant that a group of friends are taking on the plot as I have always admired the commune idea.
          The dandelion wine will warm your cockles come winter.
          Any ideas yet what will be your first growing projects?
          Hi Lumpy

There's 7 of us - 6 growers and a handyman (my OH, otherwise known as The Brown Fingered One): we met on a local history course about the development of the allotment movement in this area, had a guided tour of the allotments, decided it wold be nice to have one, and were offered the plot almost immediately. Lucky us!

So far we've planted brassicas, chickpeas, salad leaves, globe carrots, peas and broad beans, chard, various herbs and potatoes (these only went in on Sunday, so I don't hold out much hope, but I unearthed an awful lot of sprouting potatoes from another bed, so I thought I'd give them a chance). We inherited a strawberry patch, gooseberry bushes, red and white currants, and have fruit trees - an apple, two pears, a cherry and a damson. And a frog pond. And wild flower borders. And nettles. Boy, do we have nettles...

As we started late in the season, we're taking this year as 'see what comes up/does this plant like it here/can we grow this' . Future plans include a figtree and a clematis arch over the gateway.

I can see me coming back to this site time and time again...

Comment

Welcome to the Vine Hartland.

Originally posted by Hartland View Post
            Even more rewarding is the gallon of dandelion wine that's now happily burping away on my kitchen windowsill, earmarked for the allotment group's christmas party!
            Dandelion wine? we also like recipes as well as advice..pop over to the recipe thread.

Comment

Hello Hartland and welcome. What a brilliant way to make friends and follow it through into gardening together. maybe you could do a re-enactment of an allotment plot in say, Dig for Victory times and grow heritage seeds and plants from that era?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X