No announcement yet.

Planting bulbs underneath my lawn

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks a lot all - and I'm very jealous marchogaeth!

I think I might try a variety of snowdrops - early and mid flowering - and see how it goes. Typically my lawn needs some maintenance after the winter - the damp corner always turns to mud/moss - so I can't delay cutting too long but it sounds like anything which flowers before/around the end of the year could work up north.

Comment

Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
      So much good advice here. Really it comes down to how relaxed about your lawn you are prepared to be. If you are happy to buy a little strimmer and not worry about neatness things like daffs and snowdrops will reward you hands down.

This is my "back lawn":-
      Can I come and live with you? That looks gorgeous!

Comment

Originally posted by Jay22 View Post
        That's a fab back lawn you have there marchogaeth! A bit cheeky to ask this I know but is that a tombstone you have in your garden?
        It's a stone circle. However, we have a badger population so over the years precious pets have been buried in and around the circle under big stones to prevent grave robbing. When the goat went last year he got his own special pile know here as "Bedd Arthur" (there is an ancient set of stones on the Preseli's with the same name).

The bump in the background is Carn Alw and just behind is the place the big stones (probably) came from for Stone Henge (ie the stones are to all intents and purposes identical in make up).

My mum and dad are both buried in the garden at the "family home", mum's got a cracking stone which reminds me I must sort dad's out!
        Last edited by marchogaeth; 11-04-2015, 09:29 AM.
        "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          Can I come and live with you? That looks gorgeous!
          It is gorgeous, I have no illusions how lucky I am to have ended up here. (I remind myself of it every time it rains for 3 solid weeks!)

I think my internet was playing up yesterday as I seem to have missed all these posts, sorry if you felt ignored. I actually came on to say how glad I was for this thread because it really made me look at the bulbs around the place yesterday and I came across these which come up flower and die back under one of the gunnera every year. A bit fancier than the ones in the field but I have the feeling they were freebies or potted on gifts.

Attached Files
          "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
            I actually came on to say how glad I was for this thread because it really made me look at the bulbs around the place yesterday
            Me too. I need to make a conscious effort to plant loads of Daffs next August (trouble is the lawn will be rock hard then ...). I did that a few years ago with snowdrops through the few trees we have, and they are now a lovely late Winter treat (I paid £70 / 1,000 and got at least 1,500 bulbs, if not more, so it wasn't overly expensive)
            K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X