No announcement yet.

New to growing veg etc

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also have a look in the lower forums (recommendations and tips) if there is a seed sale *anywhere* someone will tell you on here.

- Ebay have some good low cost seed sellers (plain packaging but perfectly acceptable and viable) Premier Seeds Direct is one of the big ones.
    - You can buy from T&M occasionally and pick up cheap seeds with free P&P
    - Vegetableseeds.net do end of season sell off (25p a packet?) (75p at the moment)
    - VC recommended Cottage Garden Seeds who do end of season sell off (25p ish)?
    - Wyevale/Garden Centre Group do a clearance in August/Sept time at 50p a pack (well worth witing for)
    - Wilko do 1p seed clearance end of season

As you can tell I am a cheapskate seed hoarder.

You could also look at swapping seeds/plants. I think Lidl seeds are like 30p for small seeds and a bit more for beans and peas.

I hope your growing goes well, certainly looks like you have a nice bit of space - go for it, you won't regret it.
    While wearing your night clothes, plant cucumbers on the 1st May before the sun comes up, and they will not be attacked by bugs.

Comment

Thanks very much! il go have a look about see who's got good seeds on sale haha . Just need to get the ground sorted out and I should be sorted. Really want a aluminium greenhouse but money is tight, nearly picked one up free today but someone got there before me ! dammit!

Comment

I have just went and ordered seeds from vegetable seeds.net

Just bought

Beetroot
        Parsnip
        Cucumber
        Lettuce
        Onion

Hopefully these go well

Comment

Hello Ross & welcome to the jungle. Take a look @ Kristens' monthly sowing guide. It's really useful:

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ist_83423.html
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Can any of these seeds be planted out in raised beds just now?

Thanks

Comment

It's still a tad cold to be sowing direct, most folk sow in modules or trays then plant out when it warms up a bit.
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Hi there. Welcome to the Vine sorry I'm a bit late with my hello. Can't really add to the great advice already given. Just have a look around and if unsure just ask away and someone out there will know
                sigpic

Comment

Put an ad on the free give away sites asking if anybody has got a greenhouse they want to get rid of - it's amazing what you can get as a gift from people.
                  We got our slabs, raspberry canes, jerusalem artichokes, pond, pond plants, tools and strawberry runners that way.
                  Good Luck
                  I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Originally posted by RossAllan View Post
                    Just bought

Beetroot
                    Parsnip
                    Cucumber
                    Lettuce
                    Onion
                    Can any of these seeds be planted out in raised beds just now?
                    Hello Ross, you ask if any of these can be sown now as you are 20 miles south of Glasgow than answer is definitely no, it is far too cold for any of the above seeds to be sown outside, I would suggest sowing the beetroot and lettuce in plastic modulus in you greenhouse for transplanting later on and cover your seed trays every night with fleece or even several sheets of newspaper as the night temperatures are still hitting -4c as for the onions I would recommend using onion sets --- 75p in Lidls the cucumber can be sown inside, the end of April which would be time enough in your area
                    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Hi Rary, I did think it was still a bit chilly outside so I've sown some in the greenhouse.

Hoping the better weather comes soon !

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X