Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to growing veg! What to put in raised beds?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about coloured french beans - you can get some amazing purple or yellow ones. The kids might be surprised when the purple ones are cooked as they go green.
    Quick things like radish and lettuce. Rainbow chard is colourful and grows on for ages. Red and white strawberries.
    electric daisies - they can then surprise their friends.
    Sugar snap peas
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
      Chips!! Kids need greens
      I'll meet you half way Scarlet............

sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

If you have cats and their associated excrement you must wear gloves while gardening. There is something in their pooh that will give you some nasty flu like symptoms and it will be in the soil as well as the more well known toxoplasmosis. It is worth netting the beds while you seeds establish but, if you want tom be able to see what you are growing, you will end up taking the netting off so the cats will get in. I've got five cats and garden round them, there are plenty of cheap, effective gardening gloves with rubber fronts so your palms and fingers are completely protected, just train your children to always wear them. Enjoy your beds and cats!

Someone will be along to disagree now or berate cats!
        "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
          If you have cats and their associated excrement you must wear gloves while gardening. There is something in their pooh that will give you some nasty flu like symptoms and it will be in the soil as well as the more well known toxoplasmosis. It is worth netting the beds while you seeds establish but, if you want tom be able to see what you are growing, you will end up taking the netting off so the cats will get in. I've got five cats and garden round them, there are plenty of cheap, effective gardening gloves with rubber fronts so your palms and fingers are completely protected, just train your children to always wear them. Enjoy your beds and cats!

Someone will be along to disagree now or berate cats!
          This is really worth mentioning. My other half is partially sighted due to toxoplasmosis in the womb (he's quite lucky apparently - could have easily been born completely blind, and with a whole range of other ailments/disabilities!) I'll admit to occasionally rooting around in the soil with bare hands, but you've made me give myself a stern talking to - there are lots of cats in my area!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X