Manure advice

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the reply Kristen,

Is the general concensus to only use manure that you trust or am i just being soft and should just get on and use the free stuff? Because for me i have no idea who drops it off but its there for everyone to take?

Last year i done everything organic but feel as though im missing out by not using manure.

Comment

Ask around the allotment for opinions. I have never had any problems but maybe that's me being lucky or just plain naive.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Have you considered chicken manure pellets? B n M stores are selling organic chicken manure pellets for about £4.50 a bag (can't remember size, but chicken manure goes a long way) and is currently on a BOGOF deal.
        What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
        Pumpkin pi.

Comment

Would you consider them comparable? How long before planting should i spread pellets in?

Comment

Put a few in each hole at the time of planting.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

A decent layer of manure (couple of inches at least) will "feed the soil", as much (or more) than feeding the plants - it will improve the soil structure breaking up clay (if you have clay) or adding humus to sand (if that's what you have) retaining moisture which would otherwise run straight through the sand. Can't go wrong really!

Chicken Manure Pellets will provide a boost for the plant, any improvement to soil structure is minimal as the "volume" of pellets used is small - they are very concentrated - I put a small handful of pellets under each plant as I plant them out, but around each plant would do to (if sown direct, once they have grown up a bit - say a month after germination). Or you cold use a regular granular fertiliser, personally I find that chicken pellets work better - perhaps they are a bit more slow-release.
              Last edited by Kristen; 21-02-2015, 11:05 AM.
              K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X