No announcement yet.

Amateur advice - raised vegetable bed project

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did the square foot gardening thing for the first time last year...with a little help from BM and others on the vine. It was very successful. Going to add a new bed this year. Kids will love it!
    sigpic

Comment

With such a small area, SFG is the way to go IMO.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I would not cover the bottom of the raised bed, I would want my vegetables to be able to put their roots down and seek out moisture and minerals.
        My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
        Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin H View Post
          I would not cover the bottom of the raised bed, I would want my vegetables to be able to put their roots down and seek out moisture and minerals.
          What about the weeds that were there before?

Comment

Originally posted by Matty1985 View Post
            It's a tough old weed that will fight through a foot of soil to get to the light. Not many are strong enough to do this! But I would try and fork out the worst of any deep-rooted perennial weeds (docks, thistles, bindweed) before filling the bed.

The shallower the raised bed the more you need to prepare the ground, obviously.
            My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
            Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Hi and welcome to the vine. I should imagine your head is swimming after all that info. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                I wouldn't grow spuds in a mixed bed for a couple of reasons, first you will have to earth them up as they grow, second to harvest them you will have to dig them up both the above could/will disturb the other planting.
                Just to add to that Potato "tops" are quite bulky, and will hang over anything planted next to / near them. I too would skip them in a mixed bed, and grow some First Earlies in a container - to get New Potatoes when they are dear in the shops, and tasty because of their Sugar content (which turns to starch later in the season). Potato foliage is susceptible to frost, so if a late frost is forecast you can just carry the container into a shed / garage / kitchen?!! for the night

Originally posted by Matty1985 View Post
                Adopt the old saying "Never let them see a Sunday" - just hoeing off the tops will kill any seedlings, and weaken pernicious weeds such that they are weakened and will eventually die. Don't leave it long though, they regain their strength very quickly and you'll be back to square one. There's a good reason, sadly, why weeds are so successful.
                K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Just to show what Kristen means, these are 85ltr domestic plastic dustbin and 40 cold water storage tank, it will give you an idea what to expect.
                  Attached Files
                  Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Id grow the potatoes and tomatoes in containers and use the bed for other things.

I started with square foot gardening, theres lots of videos on youtube, this for example
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2FxJimob84

Theres even an online planner now

Kitchen Garden Planner | Garden Planner, Square Foot Gardening in Raised Beds

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X