Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New allotment. Quite new grower. Any advice welcome!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

What i found helped me through the first year was take it slowly. Make a couple of beds then cover the rest with plastic sheeting. That way all the grass/weeds making the plot look uncontrollable will be hidden and not make you feel overwhelmed.

I choose a blank canvas with a shed, close to water and parking. That was my main goal.

Id also recommend a book joes allotment by joe swift. Im not sure if i'll be slated for saying this but i found it a nice read with a lot of advice for a newbie and got me inspired to hit my plot.

Other tip is ebay is your friend. Ive brought all sorts of cheap stuff to supplement the plot.

Oh and if you do have a shed don't leave tools there.

Goodluck

Comment

Originally posted by Nurseygreen View Post
      Hopefully if I can do a section every weekend plus a bit during the week it'll all be ready for when the frosts finish!
      That's some challenge you've set yourself there.

You'll find people putting pics of their progress on here, and my feelings of guilt/envy/admiration make me consider that I'm a right lazy git when it comes to my own plot.

However, you've got to find your own 'level of satisfaction' I suppose.
      Therefore, to cut to chase - do what you can, and as others have suggested,my advice would be to concentrate on certain areas at a time. You get a sense of achievement when something is completed, which keeps you motivated.

And I apologise - welcome to the Vine, there's a lot of good advice on here and some really nice folks.

Enjoy.
      .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X