No announcement yet.

Which tools

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of my must haves is a pair of 'Big Hands' leaf collectors. They are cheapo plastic things but I use them loads as they are great for picking up anything lightweight in big quantities.

Something I wish I hadn't bothered with is a little hand rake. Daft! A hand fork or trowel is just as good.
    Last edited by Noosner; 18-01-2015, 11:35 PM. Reason: added summat
    My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

For the old geezers, a really handy pair of tools are standard trowels and forks with long handles. really does ease the poor old back

Comment

I have 2 hoe's but, I only use 1 and its a really old flat headed one about 2" wide. It gets in between most veg and I wouldn't be without it. I use it to weed, prepared drills and as a straight edge.

When I first got my plot one of my favourite tools was an azada, I found it much easier to handle than a spade and less work on the back. These days I prefer to minimise digging so it doesn't get out much.
        I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Not so much a tool but, you can't be without a wheelbarrow. Used for everything from weeding; carry other tools, compost etc; clearing beds; carrying veg home; mixing potting compost in. Its priceless.
          Last edited by Mikey; 19-01-2015, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post

When I first got my plot one of my favourite tools was an azada, I found it much easier to handle than a spade and less work on the back. These days I prefer to minimise digging so it doesn't get out much.
            I too have an azada - but mine's quite light so you couldn't dig with it - it replaces a hoe for some work and is very handy. I prefer my mattock for heavy work - sort of spade plus work - indeed getting into pickaxe territory.

Comment

I must recommend a decent hand trowel. Nothing worse than being on your hands and knees fighting with a weed that's in tight spot and your trowel bends. I don't think this counts but one of those pads that you kneel down on. Nothing worse than standing up with stones imprinted into your knees.
              sigpic

Comment

I've got a fork, shovel, secateurs, rake and for some reason three hoes
                An attempt to live a little more self-sufficient

Comment

I use a machete for clearing ground of tall plants and trimming "cut and drop" style living mulches as well as general cutting duties but a scythe would be great for the first two functions.

I'm pretty tall so I also use a long handled shovel like the ones you see yanks use in films when burying a body. It's flipping heavy though

A telescopic tree lopper is vital for trimming our taller trees and suckers

Comment

Another azada fan here, use it for alsorts. If I had to get by with just one tool it'd be the azada. Apart from stirrup and dutch hoes which get plenty of use I also have a lovely antique draw hoe that almost never comes out of the shed.
                    Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Thank you all. I will look for all these suggestions. Never heard of an azada though? Will have to look that one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
                        I too have an azada - but mine's quite light so you couldn't dig with it - it replaces a hoe for some work and is very handy. I prefer my mattock for heavy work - sort of spade plus work - indeed getting into pickaxe territory.
                        For those that haven't heard of one, here's a little video of a man using one. mine is similar to this except the handles a bit longer.

No idea what's been said in it as I don't have speakers on my 'puter.

Comment

I bought a scuffle hoe which I prefer to you're traditional Dutch hoe
                          Last edited by Spunky; 19-01-2015, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                            Must have - a hoe
                            I have a dutch hoe, it's useful but not ideal, I'm on a fairly clay soil tho, so it's either too wet or too hard most of the time, I think I'll be better off with a draw hoe which I have my eye out for one.

Comment

#26 Weren't they originally called a grub hoe back in the days of yore.
                              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X