No announcement yet.

What manure do you use ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi BM, thanks for the thought and yes you are right, there is a stables not far from the allotments. P'raps I should give it a go... I could at least pick up a couple of bags full in my camper van!
    My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

Get it from the bottom of the pile if you can............The blacker the better.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Will do, BM. And if it's fresh-looking I will just bung it on my new compost heap and let it all rot down for a year. I have been known to pick up actual horse t*rds from the road in a brown paper bag and put them on, and it seems to have worked fine...
        My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

Originally posted by Gema13 View Post
          I was always under the presumption that using manure which included meat scraps or waste from carnivores was a struck no no, especially with the face we get diseases such as foot and mouth swine flu etc. .
          I think?? that foot & mouth and swine flu transmission is from animals eating scraps (particularly illegally imported meat). I also thought that not putting meat on compost heap was because it attracted rats etc. ditto for cooked veg (although I do do that, and the bread loaf when it goes mouldy ...)

Perhaps someone can put me straight on that pls?
          K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Kristen, I was going to post the same info, but deleted it. My post seemed argumentative compared with yours

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
              Get it from the bottom of the pile if you can............The blacker the better.
              I just got a load of well rotted horse manure from the local stables...not sure what to do with it though! Can I dig it into my beds for planting this spring? I read that some crops don't like freshly manured soil.

Comment

I'd also love to know more about Composting dog poo! For such a small dog mine produces enough to cover a field in a day (ok, so slight exaggeration). I'd love to know what else I can do with it other than just sticking it in the bin!

Comment

Cue 2Sheds, she is the lady where composting is concerned.
                  Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GreaterMarrow View Post
                    I just got a load of well rotted horse manure from the local stables...not sure what to do with it though! Can I dig it into my beds for planting this spring? I read that some crops don't like freshly manured soil.
                    I can only speak for myself when I say yes, I would put it on all beds that I was not planning on growing Parsnips or Carrots as it is thought that manure causes them to fork or grow deformed. I have read conflicting views though.
                    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                    -----------------------------------------------------------
                    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I use rotted stable muck, chicken pellets and home made compost built including layers of rabbit hutch bedding. For an interesting read maybe try "The humanure handbook", A quick Guggle search should lead you to a free download.
                      Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by Nurseygreen View Post
                        I'd also love to know more about Composting dog poo! For such a small dog mine produces enough to cover a field in a day
                        I can't paste a link on my phone here, but you can look up my thread "composting dog poop" (or something like that)
                        Btw, dogs poo less if they're fed real food (meat) rather than kibble. "Natural prey diet" is the one mine are on
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I reckon this is the thread TS is referring to:

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ste_26959.html
                          K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X