What manure do you use ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
    (why do I compost dog poop? because I don't think the taxpayer should pay to dispose of my pets' waste
    I admire you You've probably explained before, and I forgotten, but can you describe how you compost Dog poo please. I suppose the main worry is Toxocariasis and maybe if dogs are wormed there is no risk?

I also remember something about Dog Poo Wormeries during the Olympics??
    K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I would also like to hear how you compost dog poo, 2sheds. Do you think it's still worthwhile if you only have one dog?

I haven't really worked out the best manure to use on my plot. At the moment, it's a combo of farmyard manure in bags (a bit expensive) which I lay on top of big sheets of cardboard, plus some green manure and plus my own compost and leaf mould. I've decided to do masses of leaf mould this year, and spread that on as a soil conditioner this Autumn, plus something to feed the soil, like chicken manure or fish blood and bone.
      My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

Whatever I can get hold of for free

Comment

I collect my chickens waste add to my compost and 6 months later it's ready to use. I find this is all I need to grow my crops. We only plant in our compost so I know exactly what I grow in. So no manure really needed for us.

Comment

Originally posted by Noosner View Post
            I would also like to hear how you compost dog poo, 2sheds. Do you think it's still worthwhile if you only have one dog?

I haven't really worked out the best manure to use on my plot. At the moment, it's a combo of farmyard manure in bags (a bit expensive) which I lay on top of big sheets of cardboard, plus some green manure and plus my own compost and leaf mould. I've decided to do masses of leaf mould this year, and spread that on as a soil conditioner this Autumn, plus something to feed the soil, like chicken manure or fish blood and bone.
            I would have thought there would be some stabls out Ilkley way Noos.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Gema13 View Post
              I collect my chickens waste add to my compost and 6 months later it's ready to use. I find this is all I need to grow my crops. We only plant in our compost so I know exactly what I grow in. So no manure really needed for us.
              Cos you've already got your own from the chooks - you lucky devil

Comment

As far as I knew dog poo could not be used as they are carnivores.

Comment

I just use cattle manure as I have a supply of it. I try to let it rot for at least a year. I was adding to it today and noted a very high number of red worms munching away....

Comment

Originally posted by Gema13 View Post
                    As far as I knew dog poo could not be used as they are carnivores.
                    I don't think the earth cares, but I think 2sheds only uses it on flowers in her garden, rather than on her allotment.

Human waste is used on farmland, but there are restrictions on which crops are grown afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
                      I don't think the earth cares
                      Indeed, but poo from carnivores can carry disease that humans can catch. Toxocariasis from dog poo in parks giving children infections is probably the most common.
                      K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

and that's why there's the added proviso of not using it on the allotment

Comment

I was always under the presumption that using manure which included meat scraps or waste from carnivores was a struck no no, especially with the face we get diseases such as foot and mouth swine flu etc. Plus the zooanosis diseases that can still be presents in the faeces from dogs.

Comment

Owt I can get for nowt, mixed with chicken poo from my own chooks, newspaper,cardboard, straw and home made compost from a heap in the corner of the allotment!

Oops forgot, Comfrey leaves and stems!
                            Last edited by Snadger; 08-01-2015, 08:46 PM.
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I use well rotted HM as a winter dressing and Alpaca dung as a feed

Comment

Tbh dog poo doesnt appeal to me on flowers or veg. From what i have read im going to just save all my chickens i get loads from 37 more in summer as breed. Happy days. Thank you all for replys x.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X