Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to stop my waterbutts from freezing?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are we thinking it will be a hard winter then? If it is anything like last year it wont be a problem

Comment

In the broadsheet today coldest for 100 years. Maybe???
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Greenleaves View Post
        Are we thinking it will be a hard winter then? If it is anything like last year it wont be a problem
        Not fussed either way, as I say they were fine through the previous bloomin' cold winters

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post

sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it. If, in the unlikely event, it ever got that cold, a cracked plastic water butt would be the least of one's problems!

As for a 'severe' winter. I wouldn't worry about that either. You can tell what sort of winter it's going to be by the behaviour of the wild birds and animals, and certainly the ones here aren't in the least fussed.
            Pain is still pain, suffering is still suffering, regardless of whoever, or whatever, is the victim.
            Everything is worthy of kindness.

http://thegentlebrethren.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
              Like the predicted last autumn, and the one before, although in the Autumn before the 2010 winter they predicted it would be mild ...

Met Office struggles to predict anything 10 days out, any more than that is a pure guess.
              K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post

Met Office struggles to predict anything 10 days out, any more than that is a pure guess.

And worryingly they want to spend £100M on a computer to help them guess better.

Comment

I don't know if it is good value for money, but I'm happy with the concept. I find that their forecasts 3 or 4 days out are good enough to take a decision on, and 5-10 days to get a Head's Up that I need to prepare to take some action. I presume that farmers do likewise and I expect if another day, or so, is added to the certainty period, or the "maybe" period, that would help.

Comment

Mine's been fine the last two winters. Not cold last winter but can't recall the one before. I just plan to drain a quarter to ensure there is expansion space should it freeze.

Comment

An open waterbutt won't split because the expanding ice will just go upwards, although if a full waterbutt or ibc freezes, then we have started entering the realms of 'The Day After Tomorrow'
                      What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
                      Pumpkin pi.

Comment

Originally posted by skeggijon View Post
                        An open waterbutt won't split because the expanding ice will just go upwards
                        I don't think it will - I think the water at the top will freeze first, several inches thick, but then when the really cold weather arrives and the rest of the water starts to freeze it will expand both downward and outwards - and upwards as well but only if there is any "give" left.

This from 2010

Ice Water Butt demolition thread from 2010

Expanding downwards, because the top froze sometime before, can also cause the bottom of the butt to bow out and become curved where it was once flat:

wigton physics: Frozen water butt problems

But a decent quality container should be fine. A point raised in the earlier thread was not to leave a watering can in the butt over winter, as if the ice freezes the expansion may destroy the can.
                        Last edited by Kristen; 04-11-2014, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X