No announcement yet.

Jerusalem artichokes any one?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It'd be a good idea to buy some first and cook them, NVG, as VC suggested. They have a carbohydrate called inulin which is difficult to digest. Some people really can't tolerate it and not only get wind but also bellyache and the trots into the bargain!

But they do have a lovely nutty taste. And the texture once cooked is very soft, so they make a lovely velvety soup. I'd call them delicious but that's v subjective...

Sorry, Butternut Squash, I seem to have repeated what you said... I think we were typing it out at the same time!
    Last edited by Noosner; 02-08-2014, 05:44 PM.
    My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

Originally posted by Noosner View Post
      It'd be a good idea to buy some first and cook them, NVG, as VC suggested. They have a carbohydrate called inulin which is difficult to digest. Some people really can't tolerate it and not only get wind but also bellyache and the trots into the bargain!

But they do have a lovely nutty taste. And the texture once cooked is very soft, so they make a lovely velvety soup. I'd call them delicious but that's v subjective...

Sorry, Butternut Squash, I seem to have repeated what you said... I think we were typing it out at the same time!
      Yes, synchronous typing. I should try the soup. I assume it is based on sweated down onions, stock and artichokes? Ironic they are harvested in winter, when everyone is cooped up inside.

Comment

Originally posted by ButternutSquash View Post
        Yes, synchronous typing. I should try the soup. I assume it is based on sweated down onions, stock and artichokes? Ironic they are harvested in winter, when everyone is cooped up inside.
        Ha ha: so true about being cooped up with the results!

I'm sure the soup method you mention would work very well.

I have three JA recipes that I particularly like, and that I use every year - have a look and see what you think:

Carrot and Artichoke Soup - Soups - Recipes - from Delia Online

Jerusalem artichoke & horseradish soup | BBC Good Food

Smoked haddock & Jerusalem artichoke gratin | BBC Good Food
        My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

the delia recipe sounds delicious i must try it. I agree that the Artichokes take over if not contained, but also have a nice sunflower type flower that the bees love. iI

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by Noosner View Post
            Ha ha: so true about being cooped up with the results!

I'm sure the soup method you mention would work very well.

I have three JA recipes that I particularly like, and that I use every year - have a look and see what you think:

Carrot and Artichoke Soup - Soups - Recipes - from Delia Online

Jerusalem artichoke & horseradish soup | BBC Good Food

Smoked haddock & Jerusalem artichoke gratin | BBC Good Food
            Thanks. (Padding to make message long enough to post.)

Comment

Originally posted by lyndapet View Post
              the delia recipe sounds delicious i must try it. I agree that the Artichokes take over if not contained, but also have a nice sunflower type flower that the bees love. iI

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app
              That is one reason I grow them. They say to chop them back in late summer or autumn, I'll be damned if I will do that.

Comment

We treat them the same as parsnips, i.e. parboil then roast until there are brown flecks. If you like veg which have a slightly sweet taste like squash, parsnips etc, you'll like these.

We have 2 lots growing, one at each end of our runner bean frame, so the tall stems can be tied in to the frame. Did manage to get all tubers of one plant out of the ground last year so found ourseleves in the unusual position of having to plant one this year.
                Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

I started some off from seed this year. The plants looked good when they went out, but they've been badly hit by munchers. I'm leaving them to it just for now - they sound like a right old mixed blessing!
                  Is there anything that isn't made better by half an hour pottering in the veg patch?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X