Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you protect your cabbages & other caterpillar/pigeon vulnerable crops?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you protect your cabbages & other caterpillar/pigeon vulnerable crops?

Afternoon all,

I was just wondering how everyone protects their cabbages as mine keep getting munched by caterpillars and pigeons!

Many thanks,

Samuel

Cages of enviromesh like this
    Attached Files

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

same as Alison, I bought veggiemesh from gardening naturally

Comment

Does the supporting frame come with the mesh?

I have some bamboo sticks I can use.

Comment

Some places will sell a frame to go with the mesh or you can buy it separately.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel1988 View Post
            Does the supporting frame come with the mesh?

I have some bamboo sticks I can use.
            I've bought sheets of mesh over the years that fit the beds and then build a very simple frame every year with a combination of bamboo canes in the horizontal and the plastic versions of them vertically (I found I lost too many of the vertical ones if I used bamboo for those as they broke at ground level in the wind) held together with a combination of those plastic ball things and string. Only takes about 15 mins to build each frame and then I peg down the mesh to stop stuff getting underneath and the wind blowing it away.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I do the same as Alison, find those plastic ball things and bamboo canes really quick and easy to use.
              Attached Files

Comment

I agree with all that has been said, I find that netting is the most effective way of protecting Brassicas.
                Last edited by Bigmallly; 22-05-2014, 01:54 PM.
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                -----------------------------------------------------------
                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X