Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer sowing...

Hi,

I'm thinking about putting some seeds in - nothing specific, but was after some general guidance.

If a packet says sew in spring or autumn, and I sew in the summer, is it a complete waste? Will the heat destroy the seeds/seedlings?
    Last edited by thomps557; 18-05-2014, 08:57 PM.

It really does depend on the type of seed but the instructions on the packets will normally indicate the best times. For example some types of seeds will germinate just fine but will then bolt (go to seed) very quickly in the warmer summer months and others just don't like the heat at all. For others the advice may be giving you the optimum times. If you give us some examples then you'll get much better advice

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

It generally pays to take notice of what the packet says.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by thomps557 View Post

I'm thinking about putting some seeds in - nothing specific, but was after some general guidance.
        The general guidance is to follow the packet advice. Once you know what you're doing, you might be able to tinker with planting times, but not by a lot.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X