going to have a go at growing peas, need advice please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suzan View Post
    how big do the root shoot need to be before i can put them in a pot?
    Is your pea bed ready yet? If so plant the peas in there as soon as you see the root shoot.

Comment

They move quickly 2 to 4 days easiest way to describe them is they look like little tadpoles.

Potty
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
        They move quickly 2 to 4 days easiest way to describe them is they look like little tadpoles.

Potty
        they look bigger than little tadpoles, best get them moved on this morning.

Comment

Well my kelvedon wonder peas are now growing like mad and have already reached the top of the canes and beyond, i think next year i am going to have to buy longer canes. Some of them are now ready i think as i can feel peas in the pod but i dont think there is enough ready to do a meal so are they ok to leave on until more are ready?

Comment

Are you sure their kelvedon wonder? I thought they were a dwarf variety 2-3ft at the most..
            I don't use bamboo for the dwarf varieties, just a few twiggy sticks.
            Last edited by Scarlet; 02-06-2014, 01:45 PM.

Comment

I thought they only grew to around 18" tall...............
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Mine are definitely only about 18" tall, just about to harvest some for our tea - yum
                Nannys make memories

Comment

My Kelveton Wonder often grow 2ft to 3ft high but to be honest I have never had them grow taller.
                  Attached Files
                  Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Well it says on the pack they are kelvedon wonder, i have just been out to measure them and they are 3ft 10"

Comment

Originally posted by Nannysally99 View Post
                      Mine are definitely only about 18" tall, just about to harvest some for our tea - yum
                      Re measure, now about 2 1/2 foot
                      Nannys make memories

Comment

Originally posted by Potty-Patty View Post
                        I've just declared war on the mice on the allotment!! After years of successfully planting out my seedling peas without any issues (as mice don't eat peas once they are growing) this year they've eaten the lot, leaving the substantial roots and tops as evidence of their appreciation
                        Sheesh!! You can't win.

I had a wee experiment this year and sprinkled some chopped garlic around some direct sown peas to see if it would disguise the smell and deter the mice. For the first time ever the mice left them alone and they all came up, it could be coincidence of course.

I'm going to try it again and sow some sugar snaps tomorrow.
                        My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X