Garden centre - wallet survival - essential buys

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KirstieSparkle View Post
    Never heard of this wilco place, will have to see where my nearest one is.
    The nearest one to you is 12 miles away (Burgess Hill) but you can buy online.

Store at wilko.com
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

There are a lot of ways you can save money, toilet rolls and newspaper pots are the easiest witb the advantage that you can plant out direct without harming the roots. What you will need is compost mpc and potting and seeds. You can get most of what you need from DIY and discount chain shops for probably less then your average garden centre.

Comment

Any idea roughly how much I need to fill these pots???
        They've got stuff in them already! I'd just fill the bottoms of all your pots with the old stuff and top dress them with your new compost.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          They've got stuff in them already! I'd just fill the bottoms of all your pots with the old stuff and top dress them with your new compost.
          Me too. I'd mix in a bit of blood fish and bone with the old stuff though, just to pep it up a bit - it's bound to be a bit depleted.
          My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
          Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

I was told to get rid of the old stuff because its no good for veg (moisture control with little coloured beads in)
            And a cat was using them as a toilet - seem to be nearly done with deterring him now and bought some cat pepper dust aswell to help drive home the NO message.

So.... I should not be allowed in garden centres

Oh and nope I don't need permission to drill into bricks, can do whatever I want as long as its not structural.
            Last edited by KirstieSparkle; 26-02-2014, 09:40 AM.
            newbie! Be gentle with me while I learn the basics of growing stuff
            Kirstie x

Comment

At least you wont need a mower, rotovator etc.
              The blow aways usualy have strings which you peg to the ground like a tent, that will be a problem for you. best to screw an eye into the wall and tie to that. Hold the bottom down with heavy pots or bricks. They are useful for starting plants off. If you get a walk in one you can grow tomatoes in them.
              What is the surface of your balcony made of? If its just roofing felt you will need to be careful you dont pierce it with anything sharp. You can buy huge plastic storage bins quite cheaply and in attractive colours. Dont forget lots of drainage holes.
              photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

the balcony is a rubber tile stuff. its odd.
                okies i will get a drill and stuff from dads garage and attach the blowaway to the wall because i did end up buying one.
                and lots of the asda mpc and some tubs... blood fish n bone, 2 massive massive pots, strawberry plants, a more normal mint that looks healthy to begin with, some rosemary, the cat pepper, root powder, some propegator trays.
                and ummmm....

ooops

Attached Files
                newbie! Be gentle with me while I learn the basics of growing stuff
                Kirstie x

Comment

the balcony is a rubber tile stuff. its odd.
                  okies i will get a drill and stuff from dads garage and attach the blowaway to the wall because i did end up buying one.
                  and lots of the asda mpc and some tubs... blood fish n bone, 2 massive massive pots, strawberry plants, a more normal mint that looks healthy to begin with, some rosemary, the cat pepper, root powder, some propegator trays.
                  and ummmm....

ooops

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42823[/ATTACH]
                  You obviously bought the rabbit with a view to producing your own fertiliser

Comment

Yes but he will eat half the produce too Lol. maybe you should have bought a chicken at least you would get the odd egg, mind you,you would be forever fetching her back off the road.

Well you have been busy, stawberrys do well in tubs. Its about time we had a few pics of this balcony.
                    photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

You've not been paying attention Bill ... there have been balcony pics

Besides there's nothing wrong with a bunny rabbit? Cute AND edible, what more could you want? Mwaahhhaaahhhaaaa

Comment

Originally posted by AllInContainers View Post

Besides there's nothing wrong with a bunny rabbit? Cute AND edible, what more could you want? Mwaahhhaaahhhaaaa

Opps I will have to backtrack.

Comment

Looks like you are going to be very busy KirstieS, I bought some of that Asda, MPC, and was impressed with it, really nice, nice young man helped me lift it into car.

And I luv your rabbit.
                          DottyR

Comment

Originally posted by AllInContainers View Post

Haven't seen any pictures of your balcony, and I've read all your posts I think.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                              Haven't seen any pictures of your balcony, and I've read all your posts I think.
                              There's a piccy taken yesterday, showing lots of 'pots', doesn't look like a balcony, maybe that's why you missed it.
                              DottyR

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                                Yes there is one, on page 2 I think.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X