No announcement yet.

What do spring onions look like??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have a look at these on my blog? Similar to yours? I hope my grow too!!
    Vegmonkey and the Mrs. - vegetable gardening in a small space in Cheltenham at www.vegmonkey.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by JennieAtkinson View Post
      Doing mine in modules this year as Nick and Piglet suggested and it is working a treat. But as you say Flummery it is not a quick crop.
      You actually believed Me & Piglet .... well they say there's one born every minute

I raise pretty well all my stuff in modules I find it a lot more reliable than direct sowing - mainly because I've always been battling weeds on my previous plot so they always got crowded out.
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

Can I ask a more than likley daft question???

I keep hearing you all talk about modules... do you mean those wee trays that are segmented, different sizes available????

If so how on earth do you manage to transplant them as whenever I have tried the compost falls away and I left with everything in bits...

Is there a knack to it?

Thanks

C

Comment

you are trying to soon. once they are well established the rootball will holdit all together but do it before they are pot bound
          ntg
          Never be afraid to try something new.
          Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
          A large group of professionals built the Titanic
          ==================================================

Comment

I look underneath the modules and once I see a few white shoots, its normally ok to transplant.

Mind you at the moment, with so much to do, my trays are getting stuck to the polytunnel floor as the roots go right through the modules!
            ~
            Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
            ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Yes you're right about what modules means Noidea. And as Nick and Jennie have said leave them until they are quite well filled with roots, (same as you would for a pot) then you will have no prob with the transplanting.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I too sow mainly in modules. When I work out the cost of compost and the cost of seed, I reckon a few ounces of compost is cheap at the price! I'm on my 4th bag of general purpose this year but have been able to sow many plants at one per cell and haven't had many misses. Compare that to sowing a row of stuff, half of it doesn't come, you have to thin or transplant the rest. Today I'm sowing Kale and Broc - one was £1.09 and one was £1.39. The seeds keep quite well from year to year and I'll only use 6 of each. Cheapskate? Moi? Oh yes!
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Excellent advice everyone! I was looking at my spring onions tonight and was rather worried that nowt seemed to be happening - like you say I must be more patient! Don't know why they are called spring onions - more like autumn ones! Bernie
                  Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

OMG - i forgot to grow some spring onions!! I've got a packet of white lisbon somewhere...
                    Bex

Comment

Hi I'm growing North Holland Red Blood and Paris silverskin pickling onions. I was worried they weren't growing as well but have left them to their own devices. Mine are 8 weeks along and I can smell the onion smell when I get close to them! so hopefully they are keeping away the carrot fly from the carrots next to them.

Heres what the red spring onions look like after 8 weeks:
                      http://mostlyiwillbegrowing.wordpres...pring%20Onions

Comment

I still have not got the knack of the sp onions - direct sowing has been only sort-of successful (put it this way, I've had no reason to do any thinning...) so I've tried putting a dozen seeds into jiffies then I can just put the whole lot out as suggested, but they have got drowned out .......

Is it too late for me to try the jiffies/modules again?

Comment

Hazel
                          You can sow spring onions in succession all summer long if you want.
                          Rat

British by birth
                          Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                          http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X