Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I prune my Autumn Bliss raspberries?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My autumn raspberries will get cut down to the ground at some point in the next three months when they've lost all their leaves. While I know I can get a small early crop if I leave a few stems on, I want them to concentrate on the main course. I've got some summer fruiting varieties that will do a better job of producing early berries while the autumn ones are getting ready. Horses for courses.
    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Originally posted by Herbsandveg View Post
      I have 7 Autumn Bliss
      Prune them to the ground "after fruiting". Now that is often taken to mean immediately after fruiting, but you don't have to.
      I leave mine up all winter as a windbreak & shelter for hibernating ladybirds, then I prune them in late Feb, to the ground. They grow normally & produce fruit year after year, no problem
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

If you're going to grow your autumn raspberries so that they only fruit in the autumn you do indeed need to prune them all down to the ground. I usually do this in late winter / early spring but it doesn't really matter although if you do it too early (ie before the leaves fall off) then you'll be reducing the plant's energy store. When I used to only grow autumn fruits (I now have loads of summer ones too) I used to only prune down half the canes. The ones I left used to produce a summer crop and then the new ones fruited in autumn. This worked well for me but did mean lesser crops in the autumn. To be honest, autumn raspberries are a doddle, there's not much you can do that will cause a problem so don't worry about it all.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X