No announcement yet.

Buying a compost bin question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's interesting Bill, considering the size of them you'd think one or two would be enough! Do you have a big garden? We have lots of ants in ours, they live underneath one of the tomato plants at the moment, but I'm sure they will make their way to the compost bins in time. It's good to know they are useful.

I've actually ordered my bins now, I got two as you got the second half price

Comment

I have two daleks. my garden is slightly smaller than yours, Indigo, (5m x 5m) and during the summer I generally don't have room for both as I have so much growing, so I slot one on top of the other. It slips down fairly well, it's still easy to fill the underneath one, and I have the lid on the top one, if that makes sense. Then in the autumn, when I have a lot of garden waste from stuff like runner beans and cabbages and old flower stalks etc,and more space, I lift off the spare and start to use it.

I find through the summer it composts fairly fast. If it looks well composted through the door at the bottom, I'll shovel out 2 or 3 bucketfuls and spread it on the garden, which makes room in the top.

I don't have room to empty and turn it, so I stick a garden fork in when the bin is nearly full and shake everything up a bit, which somehow seems to then leave me with a foot or so of space again.
      Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
      Endless wonder.

Comment

I would suggest that you lift the paving where you are going to put the bins, if you can. Not only will that encourage soil living creatures (worms etc) to get in there and help with the composting, but also as the bins are open based, any liquids from the composting will soak away into the ground and not run out and stain the paving around them.
        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
        Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by IndigoElectron View Post
          Oh, and I was wondering if I need these:

Compost Aerator Composting Accessories

Garland Compost Sieve Composting Accessories

Be Green 500ml Compost Maker Composting Accessories

(the last one comes free with a bin and base plate, but it's not organic so not sure whether to use it)
          The only gadget I do find useful is a rotasieve instead of an ordinary garden sieve. I stand it over an old dustbin or wheelbarrow and I find it easier to use.
          Proud Member of the Celery Stalk Nutters Club
          www.annesgardeningdiary.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks Mothhawk, that's all useful. Unfortunately it would be difficult to site the bins on soil, so I'm going to ask for advice in the composting part of the forum and see if anyone has any tips.

And thanks for the heads up on the rotasieve, Muddyfeet.

Comment

I have and use on a regular basis a compost aerator, I do not have room to empty a bin to turn it properly so find it useful.

The one I have is all metal construction and has been in use for some 7 years now not so sure about a plastic one though.

Potty
              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IndigoElectron View Post
                That's interesting Bill, considering the size of them you'd think one or two would be enough! Do you have a big garden? We have lots of ants in ours, they live underneath one of the tomato plants at the moment, but I'm sure they will make their way to the compost bins in time. It's good to know they are useful.

I've actually ordered my bins now, I got two as you got the second half price

Well I guess its average size say 30 x30 metres but a lot of slabbed area, we do however produce a lot of waste. The soil is poor so needs a lot of compost for a year or two. As for ants I am indecided whether they are good or bad, but they chew my compost up brilliantly. I have also taken the buy one get one half price offer.
                photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X