Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to harvest early pots

Hi to everyone
    My plot is filling up nicely but I have a question about early pots, I planted them on 2nd April (pentland javelin) and was wondering when they would be ready for harvesting and what I should be looking for.
    Any advice would be good, also does anyone have any suggestions what I could plant there when harvested, they are in a bed with some salad pots and some maincrops.
    Thanks

Well, say it takes on average 12-13 weeks ... that brings us to the end of June and beginning of July in your case. Your're only half way there at the moment.

I must say that mine never take that long but they are in containers - they are slightly warmer and better fed than if they were in the ground, I guess. Try having a gentle feel around in the soil - some tubers will form fairly near the surface.

Generally, wait until the tops start looking a little bit tired - not yellow, but just a bit fed up!! My first potatoes were planted mid March and have already flowered (or at least, the flowers have dropped off) but the plants are still growing very strongly. I am aiming for a crop at the beginning of June if I can keep my hands off them!

Comment

First Earlies usually take about 90 - 100 days, Pentland Javelin do flower so its around flowering or just after flowering - you may have to put your hand in and have a little feel.
      For your other question then check out ths thread by Snadger http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...=dual+cropping

Comment

wonder if this works
        http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...=dual+cropping

Comment

thanks for the info

Comment

Up here I'd say mid July. Got mine (Arran Pilot) in in mid March so hoping for a crop end of June.
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Cutecumber View Post

I must say that mine never take that long but they are in containers - they are slightly warmer and better fed than if they were in the ground, I guess. Try having a gentle feel around in the soil - some tubers will form fairly near the surface.
              The word of the month, it seems, here on the vine is 'fertle'! So try having a bit fertle to see if any are ready!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I'd agree Snadger, I always have a "fertle" to see what I can find before I dig a whole plant up! That way you can have a few to eat and leave the rest to grow a bit. I also find it very scary digging up a whole plant if you're not sure the spuds are ready!

Comment

My Arran Pilot are flowering, but I guess I'll just have to control my itchy hands a bit longer!
                  Kirsty b xx

Comment

Mine are arran pilot too. One is in full flower but the others aren't. I wonder if I've got a rogue of another variety in there!
                    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I've already eaten these Charlottes and Cherie from my buckets and very delicious they were. I was pleased with the Cherie as I'd never grown them before.
                      Attached Files

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

They look fantastic hope mine are as good !!!!!

Comment

Oh Alice you are lucky.
                          Think i will have to do some buckets next year.
                          I too have Aaron Pilots but no flowers yet.
                          My Kestral 2nd earlies are doing well too but not yet in flower.
                          My main crop are just breaking the soil today.

Comment

You'll just have to wait Vicki. Your potatoes will be along.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Alice your tatties look great. Hopefully I will have some to harvest in a few weeks.. I have some in pots and just wish they would get a move on and flower.. Plenty of leaves

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X