• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats good

Hello

Started new this season.

At the moment i have planted:

French beans, red peppers, spring onions, corgettes, cucumber, pumpkin.

I reckon i have about 2m spare. Would like to know a good veg to start with as the children are expecting big things!!! And some of my veg are failing already!!!!

All hints welcome

Stu

Hi Stu
    welcome to the vine. Lots of friendly people here with good advice, I'm sure some more will be along soon.

Try mangetout (I've always found them pretty easy) and the kids will probably love picking and eating them raw.
    All at once I hear your voice
    And time just slips away
    Bonnie Raitt

Comment

hi stu
      try risister fly carrots
      Some things in their natural state have the most VIVID colors
      Dobby

Comment

Hi Stu and welcome to the Vine. Maybe you've been a bit ambitious in what you have started with, but if the children are expecting big things, then plant some runner beans. Stick in a few canes in that wee space you have left, tie them into a wigwam, and plant the beans (2 at the bottom of each cane) and stand back. The beans will be up 8' high, make pretty flowers, and give you beans to eat. The children will be well impressed. Jack and the beanstalk stuff. Good luck.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Hi Stu and welcome!

I would ditto Alice - runner beans never fail to impress! And they grow so quickly the children will be running outside each morning to see how high they've grown in the night.
          ~
          Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
          ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Radishes are great especially as you see and eat the results quickly in about 4 weeks, they are very easy to grow.

Comment

Hey Stu welcome to the grapevine. I found that strawberries and peas were easy to grow. Also had great success last year with my first attempt at tomatos.

If you are wanting to be ambitious I can send you a few gem squash seeds if you like and you can give them a try. worth a go. PM me if you are interested.
              Look not from the mind, but from the soul. For the life that is coming is already before us, waiting to open up the world. Just look more closely. Find the eyes to see. - Celestine Prophecy 1st insight

Visit my blog: http://wheatleyswheels.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lesley Jay
                Hi Stu and Todayiwillbemostlygrowing (what a mouthful!!) Welcome to you both!!
                Thanks Lesley Jay for your welcome words. It is lovely to be here and no doubt I shall be asking you all for your advice as the growing season goes on.
                Hi to all!

Comment

Going to go buy some runner beans and strawberries.

That will impress the children did not realise strawberies are an option in the garden. Any tips for strawberries, normally i read whats on the packet then of i go.

Thankyou wheatly's for the kind offer, I might try next year.
                  Might try taking over more of the wife's sunbathing grassy area!!!!! (god loves a tryer)

Thankyou all

Stu

Comment

cherry tomatoes?

Comment

Stu, if running short of room, then consider strawbs in either a hanging basket or a planter made from an old 25l oil drum, just cut some pockets out and plant through it, not forgetting to put a pipe in the center for watering (dril holes at where the plants will be!)

Although we've 230 strawb plants on plot1 we had more plants on plot2, so transplanted them into 2 hanging baskets and 3 home made planters (thanks PW for the drums and the idea!), all of which are flowering and going great guns!
                      Last edited by Mrs Dobby; 15-05-2007, 05:44 PM.
                      Blessings
                      Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                      Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                      Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                      On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X