Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• greenhouse toms - some better than others

Advice required.....!

i have 14 tomato plants chugging away in my greenhouse. All bought as seedling plants at the same time and all planted in the same way in growbags (3 per bag) and all at the same height - about 18/20 inches.

One of the sweet millions and one of the gardeners delight are wonderfully healthy. But not a flower or flower cluster in sight. Let alone a tom! Could they still turn up at some time or should I have got some by now?

Another of the GD's is looking a bit mad because it's grown two thick stems from the root point; both are at 18 inches and both producing side shoots and have a cluster of flowers each. Twins! Something I missed when I planted and started pinching out. I'm having to tie the bush together - should I let it get on with it or should I make a sacrifice and basically chop it in half?? Would it do better out of the growbag and into a deeper pot?

I have two big boys!!! Actually they're not in a bag but in a big deep trough thing. Load of giant flowers. I'm after maximum crop not biggest crop. Should I be taking some of the flowers away on these plants or should i just leave alone?

And last a cucumber question. I've two plants. Put them in to see what they'd do - i was advised that cukes and toms didnt really mix in a greenhouse. I wish i'd got more as they're growing really well - so far anyway. both have long curly whirly things that have uncurled. without wishing to sound like a complete bimbo, are these the cucumbers?????!!!

LOL! I have been wondering what those bits are too!!! You aren't alone, this is my first cucumber experience. Kids reckon I have 'broken' them.

C

Comment

I grow cuces and toms every year in the greenhouse and they're fine. And yes, they do sound like the cucumbers assuming you're meaning thin fruit things not just the tendrills, if so you're way ahead of me, all mine are still to small to fruit, same goes for the toms.
      Last edited by Alison; 11-05-2007, 11:17 AM.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Wow! That's great news!

I have lots of those bits now so fingers crossed I have actually grown something.

Could they do with some feed too? Would tomato feed be the best thing? My toms have flowers too so should i start feeding them too? Sorry I appear to have hijacked this thread.

Thanks again... questions questions...

C

Comment

The whirly things sound like the tendrils cukes produce to help them climb up things like netting or poles. If you give them a support they should cling to it though you may need to help by tying them in also - I find bits of old tights do the job of tying in pretty well as they are softer than string.
          All at once I hear your voice
          And time just slips away
          Bonnie Raitt

Comment

no its ok, we can chat to each other!

I read on the back of the tomato feed that you should wait until the first truss has set. I guess a truss is a cluster flower thing.

Thing is I read that last week and I've been feeding my guys since day 1!!!

I've also got to confess about being a tad more lavish than suggested in the diluting instructions. Just the jewish mother in me!!!

Just concerned now that a few plants arent producing anything, or dont seem to be. I'm determined to be an 'ard' gardener. No space for charity cases in my greenhouse!!!!

My cucumber curly things are like a spiral that have now straightened at about 4 inches long. no flowers or buds or anything in sight though.

Comment

impatient are we........
              must be the newbie virus, iv'e planted it now where's the fruits of my labour.
              i know cos it sounds just like me.
              anyway bear with your tomato plants they all catch up or fruit together, and as many grapes tell you many are well ahead this year with planting cropping but crops still come to those who wait.
              your cues sound like the tendrils they use for climbing but flowers and fruit will follow, patience devotee of the plot you want to extend the season not eat it all at once. perhaps you should plant some more for a later crop.
              anyway happy growing
              phil the shed
              this will be a battle from the heart
              cymru am byth

Comment

Originally posted by phil the shed View Post
                perhaps you should plant some more for a later crop.

phil the shed
                I have! they're not shifting much yet either. Chuh, don't these plant things know that we've a schedule to keep....?!

Comment

Laura, when you say "I'm after maximum crop not biggest crop" what do you mean?

Do you mean that you want as many tomatoes as you can get from one plant, or the largest tomatoes possible, no matter if there are fewer? I'm not clear.

The thing with varieties like Big Boy is that the fruits take a long time to develop and ripen - and some of them will be absolutely massive so make sure you are able to offer them support. If you are impatient and want to hasten ripening once several fruits are swollen, you can stop the plant growing by cutting off any growing tips (you will have more than one with Big Boy). By doing this, you wont get any more fruits, but the ones that have already set will come on faster.

Comment

Originally posted by laura g View Post
                    I have! they're not shifting much yet either. Chuh, don't these plant things know that we've a schedule to keep....?!
                    I was eating Gardeners Delight until November last year...

The people we bought our house from had planted over 35 tomato plants in the greenhouse...

Ended up pulling up the plants as I couldn't cope with more tomatoes! (I know, sacrilege!)

Comment

Originally posted by Cutecumber View Post
                      Laura, when you say "I'm after maximum crop not biggest crop" what do you mean?

Do you mean that you want as many tomatoes as you can get from one plant, or the largest tomatoes possible, no matter if there are fewer? I'm not clear.
                      I read in my veg bible (or at least I construed the info to mean) that if i wanted to grow incredible enormous fruit i should sacrifice some flowers so the plant could concentrate on the job in hand.

I'm not fussed about winning the biggest tom in the world comp this year. So I'm happy to keep all my flowers flowering if thats ok to do. Just wondered if I should still be nipping some off though.

Have to say I'm really enjoying watching these ones grow. Heavy duty stuff compared to the cherry tom types. ASBO tomatoes!
                      Last edited by laura g; 11-05-2007, 03:12 PM.

Comment

They are serious bullies!

You won't believe how big the fruits can be - I still can't quite get my head around only just being able to hold one in my hand!

You may be right about the flower thing if you're wanting monsters, but I seem to get monsters anyway

Comment

I was having a look at mines last night and the Big Boy one is suddenly enormous!

I have Alicante too though that I read somewhere should really only have one main stem... is that right? Some of mines appear to have at least 2-3 very strong branches ( I know that's not the right word but my coffee hasn't kicked in yet!)... should I lop them off?

C

Comment

well. the smug fairy has struck. went to shut the greenhouse up last night. my big boys look like they're on their way out! in the space of just a few hours the stems have lost their juice and rather than big strong plants I have two very withered and sorry looking guys.

just off for this mornings check....

Comment

Sounds like they may be a bit thirsty.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X