No announcement yet.

Lawn Advice Please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I am seeing foundation pictures for a building rather than a lawn?

if it's like that then I wouldn't bother with a lawn. Do something else with it.
    Astroturf if you want a greenlook.

Comment

Originally posted by out in the cold View Post
      I am not really that fussed about the finish, as long as I have grass to sink my tootsies into on the 4 days per year we get enough sun to sit out in it.
      All you need are 4 seed trays full of lush grass. two for you and two for KCN - one for each foot

Comment

LOL reminds me of when we first came down here to live - in a drought. No grass at all. Def not green. In a shopping centre there was someone selling astroturf, you could choose your 'feel' your 'colour'....the kids dragged me over and the guy game me the sales pitch and then asked - how much land do you have........ah just over 90 acres.........right. Must admit there's times I'm pushing the mower around and wishing it was astroturf.
        I'd probably drop some green manure seed in and wait for it to grow then in between the 4 days you could grow some veg as well! Grass is lovely to feel, but I've learnt to live without it most times.
        Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

I had a (boggy) lawn on Friday morning alldigging, which had deadish turfs on it. I stripped the turf off it and dug the trenches myself.

Rather than simply relaying turf which is likely to be boggy again, I thought I would do something with the drainage at the same time.

My queries lie in being a lazy sod and also having only a small amount of cash to buy sand and gravel. The second lot of pics stem from a "will I get away with..." thing.

I have since spoken to a member of a local bowling club back home and sent him the photos. He said their problems caused by flooding due vandalism was fixed by digging drainage trenches in a similar fashion. That was a bowling green though...
          Last edited by out in the cold; 14-04-2013, 09:41 AM.
          Quanti canicula ille in fenestra ?

Comment

A wee update...

I have dug through some of the earth I took out to lay the gravel and sand layers back on top of the ditches today, spread some sand on top of the rest after aerating with a fork.

I plan to walk in some more of the soil over the next week or so, as it is a bit squishy underneath, as I reckon it will subside a bit otherwise.

I will even the surface off prior to laying the turf in a few weeks
            Last edited by out in the cold; 20-04-2013, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Loads of work going in to this problem. Fingers crossed it will sort the problem.

Btw, nice coldframe

Comment

Thought I would post a wee update showing how it all turned out...

We still have a few patches, which I am working on, but we do have a lovely lush lawn, as you can see... I took the photo about 5 mins ago.

Comment

Looks lovely, well done, your hard work paid off. The dogs look to be enjoying it too!

Comment

Looks fab! Well done!

Incidentally, if you put Dog Rocks (gurgle it) in their water bowl, that will help eliminate pee patch scorch so common with dogs (both sexes). They're not cheap, but, as you've discovered, neither is a good lawn!
                    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Cheers folks.

Reading back through the thread, I never actually turfed it. This was sown seed, although I did oversow by about 3x the recommended intensity...

I am glad it has worked out, as I was totally done in with the digging at the time.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X