No announcement yet.

If it says sow into ground...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mel when you transplant the seedlings are you holding them by a leaf?
    [

Comment

If you've not done owt to them since sowing then are they....overwatered, underwatered, too dark, too hot???

What size are they and where have you put them Mel?
      To see a world in a grain of sand
      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Hi guys. I've only held them by the leaves when transplanting so it wasn't that. They are on a sunny window ledge (SE facing) and I've been very careful with watering keeping the soil moist but not too wet. I think perhaps they are too hot, but they are in unheated propogators in an unheated room so there's not much else I can do with the temperature.

I'm going to try sewing my last batch in pots that can then be put straight out (I've got some of those alternative to peat pot things). At least then I can leave them undisturbed.

I think the prob with some of the seedlings still in the tray looking unhealthy may be down to them being too close to each other as they have been fine until now. I want to transplant them but am worried about messing it up again. Maybe I'll do one and see how it goes before doing the others.

My peppers, by contrast, are doing really well and they are on the same windowledge as the tomatoes.

Sorry, should add Small Blue Planet that they are small seedlings with just their first leaves.
        Last edited by Mel; 05-04-2006, 04:03 PM.
        http://www.norwoodgarden.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hmm, I wonder if that's why me lettuce seedlings flopped as I held them by the stalks?! It doesn't actually look as though i've done damage to the stalks though.

The cucumbers however are now a good 3 inches having watered them again last night!!

Comment

Window sills can be tricky places Mel. During the day they are hot cos of the sun, then come night time you draw the curtains & trap all that cold air around your plants, might be that this is your problem as it's probably got to 30c during the day then around freezing the las two nights.
            ntg
            Never be afraid to try something new.
            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
            ==================================================

Comment

That might be it. Interestingly, when I checked this morning, some of the seedlings that were left in the tray had died off but the remaining ones have come through really strong and look better than ever - survival of the fittest I guess. I think I may have a problem with sewing too close together so sewing straight into individual pots next time may cure that.

Anyway, I must stop derailing threads with my tomato woes!
              http://www.norwoodgarden.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have one of those little 4 tier plastic covered greenhouse things. Planted loads of stuff over the last month nad have now run out of room. Mind you, they all needed a severe talking to before anything happened. Had to threaten some of them with the compost heap....... :-)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X